Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with the 130pds

I seem to be having a problem with my new SW 130PDS that I didn't expect. The PDS is supposed to allow for convenient prime focus without having to extend the focal plane. But when I use my 2" -> 1/4" adapter with my 1/4" t-mount and my Fuji xt 1 it won't focus. It was only when I attached a 2x barlow that I was able to fix it, but that doubled the F number which made things hard to find.

So what am I doing wrong? Do I need to buy a 2" t-mount and ring or is there another option?

Sorry if that made no sense, I just woke up and am very tired.

Thanks in advance

The barlow should not increase you back focus as such as far as I am aware. Can you unscrew the lens from the end of your barlow to just use as an extension? Also is this a brand new scope or second hand?

cheers

Spill.

1 minute ago, spillage said:

The barlow should not increase you back focus as such as far as I am aware. Can you unscrew the lens from the end of your barlow to just use as an extension? Also is this a brand new scope or second hand?

cheers

Spill.

I don't have enough inward focus, without the Barlow I have to focus all the way in and it is no where near in focus. But suddenly adding the Barlow lens lets me focus.

This scope is brand new, but it did come across an ocean.

8 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The camera t ring should be attached directly to the eyepiece adapter holder. Unscrewing the 2" eyepiece adapter from the holder will reveal a t thread on the holder. Screw the t-ring onto this thread and then attach the camera.

Thanks, tried it out and it worked. That's something that they don't tell you! :icon_neutral:

Hi I had the same issue when I first got my 200pds ( same focuser) you have to unscrew the 1/4" section of the 2" base section and then screw a camera mount onto that. Heres a link to what I mean.

17 hours ago, Galen Gilmore said:

I seem to be having a problem with my new SW 130PDS that I didn't expect. The PDS is supposed to allow for convenient prime focus without having to extend the focal plane. But when I use my 2" -> 1/4" adapter with my 1/4" t-mount and my Fuji xt 1 it won't focus. It was only when I attached a 2x barlow that I was able to fix it, but that doubled the F number which made things hard to find.

So what am I doing wrong? Do I need to buy a 2" t-mount and ring or is there another option?

Sorry if that made no sense, I just woke up and am very tired.

Thanks in advance

You should not be attaching a camera via the 2" to 1.25" adapter as it will add some back focus. You should go DSLR -> T-ring -> 2" nose piece or more often coma corrector.

Thanks for the help everybody, now I can start to really get going. I took a few pictures of random stars and clusters, and I have to say I'm impressed, even at F/9 it worked really well.

I can just imagine the pictures at F/4.5 (I think that's what it is)

2 hours ago, Adam J said:

You should not be attaching a camera via the 2" to 1.25" adapter as it will ass some back focus. You should go DSLR -> T-ring -> 2" nose piece or more often coma corrector.

+1 for this way as this is how I use both my 130 and 150pds.

11 hours ago, spillage said:

+1 for this way as this is how I use both my 130 and 150pds.

11 hours ago, Galen Gilmore said:

Thanks for the help everybody, now I can start to really get going. I took a few pictures of random stars and clusters, and I have to say I'm impressed, even at F/9 it worked really well.

I can just imagine the pictures at F/4.5 (I think that's what it is)

Its only F4.5 with the SW coma corrector attached. That coma corrector again adds back focus so if you are using that and the 2" to 1.25" adapter it really is no wonder you are having issues. 

Archived