NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Getting started with Altair Astro GP Cam Mono

Hi all,

I recently bought the aforementioned camera, along with my my first scope (a Celestron Astro Fi 130mm Newtonian Reflector), and while I have played around and got the whole shebang setup, my imaging results have been not so good. My attempt to photograph Jupiter ended up being extremely overexposed, so while the vague shape of the planet and moons is visible, it requires quite a bit of imagination on behalf of the viewer to see anything recognisable, as you can see!

fullsizeoutput_24a8.thumb.jpeg.9f6aa400f087313198ef5db7c7ac8385.jpeg

Any advice for setting up the programming/camera/scope in order to produce better results? I am bit stumped, as my session on Friday provided similar results, I am obviously going wrong somewhere along the line! I'm probably being a bit dense and missing something vital, it certainly wouldn't be the first time, and my experience with regular old, non-astro cameras isn't giving me many clues! Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Almost no reflectors work properly "out of the box". You will have a significant amount of work to do to collimate it, before you can get decent views. You might also have a case of "pinched optics", looking at that image.

Thank you Michael, I shall keep having a play with it.

I am in Tenterden, Dave, just up the road from Woodchurch. I believe that the Ashford Astro Society are meeting there this Friday, I'm thinking of popping down and meeting everyone.

Your focus is way out, keep adjusting untill the rings (squares in your case) get smaller and eventually the moon's will be tiny, if it gets bigger ... Turn focuser the other way.

Adjust the shutter speed and gain til planet gets light enough to see detail.

Keep at it and good luck.

The pinched optics is probably the main mirror adjustment screws or lock screws are too tight, therefore distorting the mirror.

Not familiar with your scope but you may need an extension to reach focus, if the image gets smaller as you rack it out but you run out of travel before reaching focus try pulling the camera out of the focuser a bit.

Dave

I'm in Ashford astro-nat,and indeed the woodchurch meet is on Fri.. sorry I can't help you with the scope as I know nothing about newts..but a few members do so worth a visit...shame it's looking cloudy on the forecast..could of had a play...Luigi from f1 telescopes did say he would bring the solar scope early if it was looking clear.. he could help for sure..he usually puts a post up on the club's Facebook page beforehand to see who's interested..

Archived