NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Cat and the Elephant

Littleguy80

It had been well over a week since the clouds had allowed me to get the scope so I was really looking forward to getting out under the stars again. I had a short, unplanned, power nap and got up at midnight to start. My sessions normally start with trying to find the targets I couldn't find in my last session. The globular cluster, M56, was my last elusive target. I loved the idea of seeing something that was 13 billion years old! I was able to find the star HR7302 but just couldn't see M56 even though I knew I must be looking at it. The globular clusters that I've seen to date have all been easy to spot when in the eyepiece. I accepted defeat, noting to try again on a moon free night.

The big success of my previous session was the Blinking Planetary Nebula. This had given me a taste for planetary nebulas so my next target was the Cat's Eye Nebula. I'd tried, and failed, to find this on two previous occasions. I spent around 20 minutes scanning the region before the "double star", described in Turn Left at Orion, came into view. It was noticeable that the larger of the pair had a hazy appearance. Moving to my 8mm BST Starguider, the haziness became more apparent. Next I put on an OIII filter and any doubts about whether I'd found it or not disappeared. The nebula shone brightly through with a blue/green tint. It came across as more a hazy patch to my eye but I was very pleased with the find.

Part of the interest in planetary nebulas had come from a desire to see more colour in my viewing. With that in my mind, my next target was Herschel's Garnet Star. I used Alderamin as my starting point. It didn't take long at all for the bright Garnet Star to appear. It had more of pinkish appearance but I was very pleased to have a red giant in my view. SkySafari had shown me that the Garnet Star was part of the Elephant Trunk nebula. Using my lowest magnification eyepiece and an OIII filter, I scanned the region looking for nebulosity. Whilst, I couldn't see the dark lanes of the nebula, described in SkySafari, I did find a triple star system that was easily split. I believe this was Struve 2816. A very bright white star with two fainter stars around it. Not a planned target but a very enjoyable one.

With Cygnus high in the sky, I decided to have a shot at the Crescent Nebula. Focussing on Sadar, I began the search. It was immediately noticeable how many bright stars where in this region of the Milky Way. I was slowly navigating my way around but the view was starting to look washed out. I looked up and, sure enough, the Sun was starting to rise. I persisted for a few more minutes but at this stage, even the bright stars of Cygnus were getting dim against the brightening sky. I packed up, already planning another run at the Crescent nebula on my next session!

Great, good impromptu, determined effort and honest account seeking out an interesting variety of, in which some are highly elusive, targets. The Cats Eye Nebula is a splendid object to observe. 

Good report there.

Hopefully I`ll get a chance of looking for som of those Objects late Aug early Sept.

I have a New Omega/DGM NPB filter I really want to try, havent had a chance using it yet.

Rune

Perhaps when we next get some dark skies later in the summer, you could try for NGC 7008 The Fetus Nebula, an interesting Planetary just below the border with Cepheus in North Cygnus.

1 hour ago, scarp15 said:

Perhaps when we next get some dark skies later in the summer, you could try for NGC 7008 The Fetus Nebula, an interesting Planetary just below the border with Cepheus in North Cygnus.

Thank you for the suggestion! I've added it to my "Things to see" observing list ?

Last night was my follow up session to the session above. Conditions weren't as favourable with the wind being much stronger. I went out around 11pm and the sky was still not totally dark. I started with the small open cluster M29. I counted 8 stars in the cluster. Their configuration made me think of an insect. It's interesting the way our brains can make patterns from random arrangements! With the sky now looking much darker, I moved onto the crescent nebula. It took a good while to establish that I had the correct stars in view. I find the SkySafari app, a great help with this. With the nebula in front of me, I spent around an hour, trying both my UHC and OIII filter at magnifications of 38x, 50x and 75x. At times, with averted vision, I could make out a very faint oval shape. It was so faint that I really struggled to tell if I was really seeing it or not. Another object that I will revisit at a dark site.

Next up was M56. Once again I found HR7302 easily enough. The sky was noticeably darker and with averted vision I could just make out the round fuzzy shape of M56. Increasing magnification to 75x made M56 easier to see though still requiring averted vision for it to stand out. It was distinctly a globular cluster but much, much fainter than others that I've seen. Although it was not as visually exciting as M13, it was incredible to be looking at long dead stars that are nearly as old as the universe itself!

To finish up the session, I moved to Perseus. Starting from Miram, I moved up to the double cluster of NGC884 and NC869. They both fit nicely into view using my ES68 24mm. The open clusters sitting next to each made for an exceptionally pretty sight and my favourite of the night. With the time now around 2am, I packed up, ending the session on a high note. 

Archived