Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging Moon - DSLR & Barlow

AstroKane

Hi All - I have been imaging the moon for about a year with pleasing results. With my recent upgrade to a tracking mount I can now begin to try some closer shots.

My mount is an advance VX and scope is a Celestron Edge HD, more importantly I image with a Canon 700D, T ring adapter and Celestron Telescope T Camera Adapter with Barlow Lens (x2) and have been able to get the below kind of shots.

My question is  - Can people recommend good barlows that will hook up to my T-ring adaptor and Canon that will allow me to get right up and close.

Cheers :headbang:

5936659ae2371_Moonclose1.thumb.jpg.efc30a6ba3918e7b3c47e07907a96c61.jpg5936659b627f8_Moonclose2.thumb.jpg.acaf72ced9144f42de650f600d988871.jpg

5936659bcb049_Moonclose3.thumb.jpg.21c8f4ac8c3b73ed36d2c0de6c815f07.jpg

Is it true to suggest that the TV Powermates are the best device for magnifying images ?      I have a second hand 2xTV PM and it just gives better results than brand new barlows. ( I have tried Edmund Sci and ImageMates)  ...... Fair enough it is a lot more expensive, but it is the case that 'you get what you pay for " ??

Interested if any experienced imagers have gone through the dealer entire catalogue in search of the 'best'.

regards,

Sean.

Thanks! For entire moon shots I use iPhone to good effect. With the DLSR I want to build up to mosaics.

I have seen that the Powermate mentioned a lot - is this the best option...?...! Perhaps stacking barlows is an easier alternative -how much impact will this have on image quality!

I've had some pretty good results with GSO and Revelation Astro Barlows for detail shots and that's without a tracking mount so if you wanted to dabble without too much expense you could give those a go.

To be fair though I've not used a powermate and they'll hold their value if you don't like it.

Buy a powermate :)

16 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

How do you insert the barlow between your camera and scope ? I have to use a Tele-Extender with a 12mm Plossi to be able to get closerup images but never been able to add a barlow .

Hi - I have a canon T-ring that fits on to the  Celestron Telescope T Camera Adapter with Barlow Lens (x2). If you google that it will give you the idea.

17 hours ago, johnfosteruk said:

I've had some pretty good results with GSO and Revelation Astro Barlows for detail shots and that's without a tracking mount so if you wanted to dabble without too much expense you could give those a go.

To be fair though I've not used a powermate and they'll hold their value if you don't like it.

Buy a powermate :)

Powermate - Next purchase :icon_biggrin: I am thinking the x5.

6 minutes ago, AstroKane said:

Hi - I have a canon T-ring that fits on to the  Celestron Telescope T Camera Adapter with Barlow Lens (x2). If you google that it will give you the idea.

Ok I see now that Celestron sells it . Basically it's the same thing as a Digi-T adapter for EPs' . Does that adapter work on any Barlow or is it a permanently attached to the Barlow ?

1 hour ago, AstroKane said:

Is there anyway you can tell me what thread size is that on the Barlow ? I have a Canon camcorder I want to use and it takes a 43mm filter so i'm looking for a 43mm stepdown ring that has inside threads that would fit that barlow . I've been checking with Adaroma and they can't seem to tell me if their Digi-T adapter for a 1.25" EP will fit the 37mm inside step down ring they sell . I have to contact their store and they would physically pull both parts and see if the Digi-T will screw into the 43mm-37mm step down ring . But thought I'd ask if you might already know the thread size of that barlow ? If it would I could use my camcorder as well as my camera .

2 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

Is there anyway you can tell me what thread size is that on the Barlow ? I have a Canon camcorder I want to use and it takes a 43mm filter so i'm looking for a 43mm stepdown ring that has inside threads that would fit that barlow . I've been checking with Adaroma and they can't seem to tell me if their Digi-T adapter for a 1.25" EP will fit the 37mm inside step down ring they sell . I have to contact their store and they would physically pull both parts and see if the Digi-T will screw into the 43mm-37mm step down ring . But thought I'd ask if you might already know the thread size of that barlow ? If it would I could use my camcorder as well as my camera .

I am out right now but will check as soon as I can!

15 minutes ago, AstroKane said:

Ok thanks . With the measurements of the threads on the Barlow can tell me if it will screw directly into my 43mm camcorder or if I need to find a step ring to take up the difference . I been wanting to use my Canon EM F50 a long time with my scope but can seem to find measurements .

16 hours ago, AstroKane said:

I found out the ID of a camera T-Ring is 42mm so the Barlow's OD threads must be 42mm . So for me to use my camcorder which has 43mm  threads I need a 43mm-42mm stepdown ring . Got to get one on order and may order that Barlow also . What's your opinion on the glass quality in that Barlow ? 

Archived