Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tripod Height??

Hi again everybody! 

A question that has perplexed me for a long time, tripod height!

Does tripod height affect latitude adjustment? I know having a tripod as low as possible is best for stability & vibration resistance, but does it affect polar alignment & latitude adjustment. I ask as I'm trying to achieve the best solution for Polar alignment & before I look at building a permanent pier.  Also comfortable viewing position helps my poor back! Is this more critical for Astrophotography rather than visual?

Ideas??

No it doesn't affect the adjustment at all, you could have your tripod at any height and the latitude adjustment would be the same.

I find a pier extension very handy to get extra height for viewing comfort and to avoid tripod clashes for refractors in particular.

11 hours ago, Alien 13 said:

For AP I do wish that I could get a tripod 6 inches off the ground but as said it makes no difference to the alignment angle.

Alan

I'd settle for one that is 60% of the length of the OTA :) Just in case of ground strikes. 

I use a Manfrotto 058B tripod with my DSV-1 mount for visual usage.  I crank the center column up or down as needed to bring the eyepiece to a comfortable viewing height while seated.  Once I tighten down the center column clamp, it is nearly as steady as at its fully retracted position.  As I crank it up or down, the object stays more or less where I left it in the eyepiece.  This variable height solution helps preserve my old back and neck.  I like to think of it as a variable height extension.

I keep the legs fully retracted and splayed wide for stability and for ease of getting between them with a stool.  It also has a built in level, so I adjust the splay of each leg until it's level.  Adding anti-vibration pads under each foot completes my tripod/mount setup.

36 minutes ago, krobbo said:

Thanks for the replies I can lower it down some. My God the weather is atrocious at the mo!

Not half! It's clear here tonight but blowing a gale still. At least it has stopped raining though!

Archived