Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

globular clusters

Experiment: same exposure, same night, same bias, flat and dark flat frames. Different noise.

M92 was first so I'd expected m13 to have less noise; higher and less turbulence. Anyway, I thought the comparison was interesting. Only a light denoise as some of the stuff on the edges of the cluster is a bit delicate. Must try something else. Yeah I know, more snaps!

Thanks for looking and clear skies.

10 15s + 20 60s iso800

m92.thumb.jpg.dcfb13a28a91ff5259d6cd377d36bffc.jpgm13-3.thumb.jpg.e2d5d0a35ba31be94a3fb91a9bc6d4b0.jpg

Both look alright to me, no intrusive noise to speak of. The only thing I might suggest is using a layer mask to restore the cores of each glob. M13 would benefit most from that so you can uncover the "propellor" feature it has.

They both look suitably noiseless to me.  I might prefer a little less saturation (but that's personal taste).  

I really like globular clusters.  I'd never really heard of them until I 'got into' astronomy a few years back.  Invisible to the naked eye (where I live), fascinatingly smudgy in a telescope and somewhat easy to photograph (compared to other DSOs). 

I hadn't thought of layer different images with different brightness to reveal hidden details in the core though.  Great idea!

18 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

using a layer mask

Hi and thanks for looking. Yeah, I layered the 15s stack on top of the 60s with multiply -similar to a m42 HDR merge. That's probably not the way to go...

13 hours ago, mikey2000 said:

easy to photograph

...and you can do them alongside the moon too. I suppose the major challenge is tracking. Anything slightly out and the tiny stars become streaks and make the delicate edge-of-cluster stars blobs when stacked. No cheap refractors either...

13 hours ago, mikey2000 said:

layer different images with different brightness

It seems to be quite a common trick for other stuff where there's a hdr. The best way I've found is to process each set differently and then layer rather than process both as e.g. dss groups.

Archived