NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M97 - The Owl Nebula

Petergoodhew

I like this image as it shows some of the hard to find core detail although the stars appear to display a slightly offset red channel or it is just my stupid glasses?

I am all programmed up for this one myself, just waiting for a clear night!

3 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

I like this image as it shows some of the hard to find core detail although the stars appear to display a slightly offset red channel or it is just my stupid glasses?

I am all programmed up for this one myself, just waiting for a clear night!

It's not your glasses Steve, but my processing!   Need to do some more work on that. I've also some Ha and OIII to combine with it in the hope of pulling out more detail too.

On 31/05/2017 at 11:56, steppenwolf said:

to have the RGB stars in the background with NB enhanced planetary would be excellent - I look forward to seeing the finished result.

Steve, here's a reworked Owl with NB added.  Managed to pull out some outer halo from the OIII.

M97 HaOIIILRGB.jpg

3 minutes ago, swag72 said:

I like the halo and the detail, but I think that the colour balance is a little off by looking at the star colours.

I really struggle with getting the colour balance right Sara.  Any tips for getting it right?

Just now, Petergoodhew said:

I really struggle with getting the colour balance right Sara.  Any tips for getting it right?

Nothing beyond fiddling with the selective colour slider or the colour balance adjustment :)

The NB version has orignal data, to my mind at least. That outer halo is excellent. So is the resolution.

OK so I'm bugged by the colour. To me the Owl is an OIII dominated green object fringed in places by the red of Ha. Pale blue is new to me (but I'm only on a laptop for the next ten days so I could be right up a gum tree, in which case tell me so!)

Don't get me wrong, I think that this is, in most respects, utterly gorgeous.

Olly

Thanks Paddy and Olly. I know my colour balance is rubbish, but I'm working on it. Let me see if I can get it right on this image. I was amazed to see the outer halo appear. I guess it shows the value of getting lots of good quality data. 

Archived