Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

If You Have Cartes du Ciel - READ THIS THREAD:

1 hour ago, Mognet said:

If it happens again, then it's probably worth reporting it to Malwarebytes as a probable false positive detection. I couldn't find a link on their site, but antivirus providers usually do provide a method of reporting.

False positives do happen from time to time. I've seen it happen with my employers software product, and I've read of a number of others too.

Good call - I had the same idea. I, too, just downloaded a new copy of CdC and tore it apart and scanned everything with both Malwarebyte 3 and Kaspersky's - Nothing. So now my 'mental-compass' has swung over to point at Malwarebytes 3. And that leads me to 2 possibilities: That it's just a 'False-Positive' from the software. OR: Maybe Malwarebytes got bought by some less-than-ethical outfit and is using the same tactics as the Fly-By-Nighter's that tell you "Without OUR software - you'd NEVER have found these 499 Viruses that are EATING YOUR COMPUTER!" - ka-Ching!! £££!!

I hope it's the former. Malwarebytes is (was?) one of the best critters out there.

CdC 4.0 is re-installed and running fine. I've gone back to getting the details of Jupiter - as I was when this "bug" first hit:

592c26b38d87f_JupiterinCdC.thumb.png.0711eace7010b797be304204a1fc9785.png

CdC has excellent details on the positions of the Moons, and the GRS (Great Red Spot).

Thanks to all for your views and assistance! Here's Hoping,

Dave

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My two-penn'orth.

Just downloaded the latest version which the authors say was updated ten hours ago.  Nothing in the "read me" file to show that any malware functions had been addressed.  I've been using the AVG Free anti-virus program for over fifteen years now and also use the protection included with Windows 10.  Never had a problem which that combination failed to intercept.  Stopped using Malwarebytes years ago as felt it was redundant.

What a situation! I'm glad you're haven't had any more software issues. You were right in giving everyone a heads-up just in case this was a potentially metastatical nightmare! Whew!

Keep us posted!

Reggie:hiding:

4 hours ago, Relpet said:

My two-penn'orth.

Just downloaded the latest version which the authors say was updated ten hours ago.  Nothing in the "read me" file to show that any malware functions had been addressed.  I've been using the AVG Free anti-virus program for over fifteen years now and also use the protection included with Windows 10.  Never had a problem which that combination failed to intercept.  Stopped using Malwarebytes years ago as felt it was redundant.

I'd been using the FREE edition of Malwarebytes for years without a problem. But as the new, premium-edition 'Malwarebytes 3' stated it could block 'Ransomware,' I decided to give it a go. That wasn't redundant in my opinion. But after this - I'll be having a few, choice, words with them!

Regards AVG, it was what I was using until they got sold and their business-plan threw itself "under the bus." Now they are back to being excellent - from all accounts I've been hearing. Currently I'm running Kaspersky's through ZoneAlarm/Checkpoint.

Enough 'Capitalism-On-Parade'-

Dave

On 29/05/2017 at 11:44, Mr Spock said:

Taking my mod duties seriously, I've just downloaded all the CdC files. Each was then scanned individually with both Malwarebytes Premium and Kaspersky Anti-virus. No detections.

I updated all the elements in CdC. No detections.

I have websites covered by Malwarebytes Premium, Kaspersky Protection, OIbit Surfing Protection and Ads Removal and Bitdefender Traffic Light. CdC website is clean. Sourceforge threw up 44 ads removed and tracker Comscore Beacon but no threats.

I have no answer for what happened to you but as far as I can see, CdC, it's website and downloads are all clean :smile:

I have just downloaded the OSX version, and run Sophos AV over it and that also seems clean.

Happy to build an Win7 virtual machine to download the Windows version to if people wish?

Archived