Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

URGENT ** Multi-shadow transit event on Jupiter tonight.

paulastro

DOUBLE SHADOW-TRANSIT EVENT ON JUPITER TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m sure you already know about this if you're reading this forum, but don’t forget the multi-shadow transit event on Jupiter tonight.  Up in darkest Yorkshire I don’t expect to see any of it, but you never know, and I’ll be ready at a moments notice! 

Here are the satellite phenomena for Sat night/Sunday morning.  Taken from S&T’s interactive thingy. Remember to add an hour to convert the times to BST !
As you can see, the critical time is 01.18 to 01.44 Sunday morning.

Saturday, May 27, 2017

18:18 UT, Ganymede begins transit of Jupiter.
20:36 UT, Ganymede ends transit of Jupiter.
21:34 UT, Europa enters occultation behind Jupiter.
22:24 UT, Ganymede's shadow begins to cross Jupiter.
23:18 UT, Io begins transit of Jupiter.

Sunday, May 28, 2017

00:18 UT, Io's shadow begins to cross Jupiter.
00:18 UT, ** A multi-shadow transit event begins. **
00:44 UT, Ganymede's shadow leaves Jupiter's disk.
00:44 UT, ** The multi-shadow transit event ends. **
01:28 UT, Io ends transit of Jupiter.
02:06 UT, Europa exits eclipse by Jupiter's shadow.
02:30 UT, Io's shadow leaves Jupiter's disk.

Clear skies to everyone, and I look forward to reading all bout it here tomorrow from anyone with clear skies.

It's a superb one, isn't it - thanks for the heads-up? Absolutely pin sharp Ganymede shadow inching its way across the disk, with the moon sharp as well, a clear disk with a hint of features. Best view I've had this time round of Saturn as well, with Cassini very well defined (180 Mak at x190 and x270).

Chris

It was very cloudy here but when I looked out about 12.30 there was a clear spell. I got out my grab and go and managed to spot a moons shadow. The seeing is very bad though, the best view I could get was at only 75X mag with a 20mm eyepiece on my Skymax 127.

On a bit of a sideline I was visited by a hedgehog who wandered round the garden for about 5 minutes, they must be blind to red light as I had my head torch lit the whole time.

It was all going well for the 1st 3 events that Paul has listed then a solid cloud layer settled over me and that was that :rolleyes2:

I'll have to enjoy reading others reports of the remaining events !

Excellent "heads up" though Paul - I'm sure these sorts of posts help many others latch on to things to observe so that they are enjoyed by more :icon_salut:

• 1 month later...

Archived