NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Globulars in Hercules

scarp15

The session commenced at midnight when it had become suitably dark enough to maneuver my 14" dobsonian to aim towards Hercules. Breezy gusts had begun to pick up on my open moorland location, which had earlier distorted a little the view of Jupiter. M13 became a welcome sight, blazing brightly, spider like chains of stars distinct and resolved. The Propeller, which constitutes a three blade profile of dark lanes was clear and apparent, the best view provided by my 10mm Delos (184X with paracorr). M92 followed, smaller in profile but equally bright and resolved. NGC 6229 is yet smaller, quite bright with a granule texture, pleasing to observe but not as easily resolved. The eastern sky was already beginning to brighten by the time I had swung the scope around towards Cepheus picking up the cluster NGC 6939, and what I perceived was a very faint NG 6946.  I had though run out of time located at my Northern latitude to attempt the super nova and by 1.30 am had begun to pack up. By the time I arrived home, the dawn chorus had already begun.   

Cool that you didn't neglect 6229, I can spot it from a city with a five-incher, it's in the same class as the many lesser globs in Scorpius, Sagittarius and Ophiuchus. NGC 6229 forms a little acute triangle with two field stars visible in a small finder, the pattern reminds me of a rabbit head with a star as the nose, and the glob as an ear. With your 14-inch scope the view must be very worthwhile.

M13 and M92 in Hercules are such monsters, NGC 6229 gets forgotten very often, but if it was a galaxy, at magnitude 9 everyone would check it out as an easy and bright one.

Sorry to hear that Mike, I hope that you recover quickly. 

2 hours ago, Ben the Ignorant said:

Cool that you didn't neglect 6229, I can spot it from a city with a five-incher, it's in the same class as the many lesser globs in Scorpius, Sagittarius and Ophiuchus. NGC 6229 forms a little acute triangle with two field stars visible in a small finder, the pattern reminds me of a rabbit head with a star as the nose, and the glob as an ear. With your 14-inch scope the view must be very worthwhile.

M13 and M92 in Hercules are such monsters, NGC 6229 gets forgotten very often, but if it was a galaxy, at magnitude 9 everyone would check it out as an easy and bright one.

Nice description of NGC 6229, I shall look out for the rabbit head profile next time.  

1 hour ago, John said:

Nice report :smiley:

Next to M13 is a lovely little galaxy, NGC 6207. You can get them both in a 1 degree true field :smiley:

Yes that little galaxy is always worth looking for John, I couldn't quite get it last night, I think there was a little bit of mist around to.

The only other slightly notable event, was encountering an Iridium or Satellite flare. Whilst spending time gazing, in-between observing each of the Globular's, I noticed a satellite traveling from North West to North East, when suddenly it became very bright (than for example Jupiter) almost like a search light. I swung the scope onto it before it dimmed then disappeared, quite a surreal encounter in a way.  

4 hours ago, faulksy said:

nice couple of catchs iain. i to was hopeing to go away this weekend with @swamp thing but i have cracked 2 ribs so had to stay home. gutted

Was that through laughing so hard at my daft questions ?? ?

Hope you heal quickly... 

Archived