Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera attachment advice

Hi, I'm new to telescopes and find myself here because my 6 year old son who is autistic has an interest in the universe so I purchased a celestron astromaster 130eq as a starter to feed is interest. As a result I found an interest as well, sparked my childhood interest up again.

I want to photograph the heavens. I have a cannon 350d and want to be able to connect it to our telescope. I also want to be able to use the full benefit of the telescope and EPs.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for an adapter that will allow me to use the EPs and camera..?

thanks in advance.

G0MZS 

Hi UKvegas and welcome to SL. :)

You need a T2 lens mount and telescope adaptor like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-T2-Lens-Mount-Adapter-for-Canon-EOS-SLR-Camera-1-25-034-and-Telescope-Adapter-/251456240632

But you may have difficulty focusing a dslr with the Astromaster due to the length of the focuser tube. It's also more usual to use 2" accessories with dslr's rather than 1.25" - but for a tenner it's maybe worth a stab at it just to see what you can get.

Unfortunately deep sky astrophotography isn't so easy as "point and click" - you need to do many long exposures and then combine them with software - it's quite an involved procedure. You also need an accurate tracking mount with good polar alignment, plus usually a guide scope, guide camera, and guiding software on top.

You may have more luck initially having a go at planets with a webcam. A £20 investment in the book "Making Every Photon Count" is an invaluable guide to astrophotography. Hope that helps and good luck. :)

On 2017-5-14 at 15:31, brantuk said:

Hi UKvegas and welcome to SL. :)

You need a T2 lens mount and telescope adaptor like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/T-T2-Lens-Mount-Adapter-for-Canon-EOS-SLR-Camera-1-25-034-and-Telescope-Adapter-/251456240632

But you may have difficulty focusing a dslr with the Astromaster due to the length of the focuser tube. It's also more usual to use 2" accessories with dslr's rather than 1.25" - but for a tenner it's maybe worth a stab at it just to see what you can get.

Unfortunately deep sky astrophotography isn't so easy as "point and click" - you need to do many long exposures and then combine them with software - it's quite an involved procedure. You also need an accurate tracking mount with good polar alignment, plus usually a guide scope, guide camera, and guiding software on top.

You may have more luck initially having a go at planets with a webcam. A £20 investment in the book "Making Every Photon Count" is an invaluable guide to astrophotography. Hope that helps and good luck. :)

Thanks for your reply. Focal length isn't a problem, I also have a tracking motor and I'm an expert with photography software :)

I found what I was looking for to hold the EPs.

https://www.telescopeadapters.com/best-sellers/521-deluxe-astrophotography-kit-125.html

Welcome to the forum. Your experience with photo software will be an asset, but please bear in mind that astrophotography is a whole new ball-game. So long as you can achieve focus with your dslr on your Newtonian (the camera sensor is 'further out' than an eyepiece*), then you should be able to get some decent results. But you will need to align and stack many, sometimes many many, frames to reduce the inherent noise and allow the object to be revealed. Unless you photograph the Moon or planets, the object will be feint and will need special techniques to bring it out. The Moon is a good place to start as it is amply bright.

Ian

*See the "Important Note" at the bottom of the linked page.

1 hour ago, Ukvegas said:

Thanks for your reply. Focal length isn't a problem, I also have a tracking motor and I'm an expert with photography software :)

Don't forget that's a "projection adaptor" for plossl eyepieces. Most deep sky astro photography is done at prime focus - so unless you specifically wanted that item, it might not work as you expect. Let us know how you get on with it. :)

21 hours ago, brantuk said:

Don't forget that's a "projection adaptor" for plossl eyepieces. Most deep sky astro photography is done at prime focus - so unless you specifically wanted that item, it might not work as you expect. Let us know how you get on with it. :)

The adaptor is dual so I'm able to use projection for moon and planets and prime for deeper work. I'm going to use a 2x Barlow until I have time to adapt the focuser .

23 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Welcome to the forum. Your experience with photo software will be an asset, but please bear in mind that astrophotography is a whole new ball-game. So long as you can achieve focus with your dslr on your Newtonian (the camera sensor is 'further out' than an eyepiece*), then you should be able to get some decent results. But you will need to align and stack many, sometimes many many, frames to reduce the inherent noise and allow the object to be revealed. Unless you photograph the Moon or planets, the object will be feint and will need special techniques to bring it out. The Moon is a good place to start as it is amply bright.

Ian

*See the "Important Note" at the bottom of the linked page.

Fortunately we live in the country side as we are in a dark area so light pollution in this location is minimal. Photography side isn't an issue for me, I'm up on the techniques I just need to master the equipment.  

1 hour ago, Ukvegas said:

Fortunately we live in the country side as we are in a dark area so light pollution in this location is minimal. Photography side isn't an issue for me, I'm up on the techniques I just need to master the equipment.

Just out of interest - which software will you be using for deep sky?

On 2017-5-18 at 11:52, Ukvegas said:

https://www.telescopeadapters.com/best-sellers/521-deluxe-astrophotography-kit-125.html

You will be surprised about the differences with normal photography... totally different ball game.
Focal length will be a huge problem with a DSLR especially through ep projection without very high end equipment as you will soon find out...

1 hour ago, Waldemar said:

You will be surprised about the differences with normal photography... totally different ball game.
Focal length will be a huge problem with a DSLR especially through ep projection without very high end equipment as you will soon find out...

No problem with focal length and I know all about astrophotography.

Read my first post and you may have a light bulb moment ;)

All I wanted was advice on an adapter.

T-Adapter for DSOs' and Tele-Extender for Moon or planets . T-Adapter uses no EP , Tele-Extender works best with a 12mm Plossi 1.25" . Unless you have a steady as concrete mount I would not use the Tele-Extender with EP for any DSO objects . You will be highly disappointed if you do . Actually same goes for planets . Not to be a smart aleck but if you already know all about astrophotography .... , why are you asking for advice on adapters ? I knew nothing about adapters when I first started imaging . I had to ask for help just like you did and believe me I did not know what I was getting into ! I sure learned my lesson tho when I got to a point thinking I knew it all and I got set straight by a lot of people . You got good advice , when you take a picture be sure and post it here so we can enjoy your images too .

3 hours ago, Ukvegas said:

No problem with focal length and I know all about astrophotography.

Read my first post and you may have a light bulb moment ;)

All I wanted was advice on an adapter.

I am afraid your 'light-bulb' moment will hit you like a lightning bolt...

14 hours ago, celestron8g8 said:

T-Adapter for DSOs' and Tele-Extender for Moon or planets . T-Adapter uses no EP , Tele-Extender works best with a 12mm Plossi 1.25" . Unless you have a steady as concrete mount I would not use the Tele-Extender with EP for any DSO objects . You will be highly disappointed if you do . Actually same goes for planets . Not to be a smart aleck but if you already know all about astrophotography .... , why are you asking for advice on adapters ? I knew nothing about adapters when I first started imaging . I had to ask for help just like you did and believe me I did not know what I was getting into ! I sure learned my lesson tho when I got to a point thinking I knew it all and I got set straight by a lot of people . You got good advice , when you take a picture be sure and post it here so we can enjoy your images too .

The reason I ask for advice is because I couldn't find a supplier in the UK and expected people to give advice on what make to buy and where. I didn't want to buy one from the USA to find it was poor quality and not fit for purpose. I'm sure I won't be disappointing because I have thought it out and after spending years photographing Meteor scatter ( I'm a fully licenced amateur radio operator and spent time experimenting with meteor scatter on 6m ) I realised the importance of having a good solid mount, more so with a telescope so I'm going to make a mount and base plate out of box steel that is firmly bolted down. I'm new to TELESCOPES but not photography and astophotography is not the only reason stacking is used!

I'm very familiar with astrophotography software and techniques. I'm also a math expert, electronics expert and love to experiment, I have a photographic memory and an IQ of 153 so learning comes easy.

Thanks for your advice all the same.

12 hours ago, Waldemar said:

I am afraid your 'light-bulb' moment will hit you like a lightning bolt...

I have a 6 year old autistic son who is better than most at stacking and manipulating photos, he's also a little expert with animation.

Once we get used to the equipment and adaptation I will post you some of his deep space photos.

All the best.

Wow , good luck getting the help you need then . You know respect for others on the forum goes along way getting respect back . So far you have turned up your nose at everyone's help and suggestions . I really don't care if your a genius or an average person but being snub nose to people won't get you anywhere . Sorry your child is Autistic , not anything you can tell me about that . I work around people of education and one field in our group is a group that works specifically with autistic children up through adults . Autistic is nothing new . I know autistic children that can put you to shame but can't handle everyday crowds , know alot who are artist and sell their paintings to fund their support . All autistic children are special but never use one as an example to be better than another person . So if you want help fine , be respectful of it . Otherwise I can see others ignoring your request . 

10 hours ago, Ukvegas said:

I'm very familiar with astrophotography software and techniques. I'm also a math expert, electronics expert and love to experiment, I have a photographic memory and an IQ of 153 so learning comes easy.

Just a friendly thought - have you ever considered what effect this sort of statement has on other people? Does it make them think you're friendly, like you, and want to help you? Or does it irritate them and make them think you're arrogant/bragging, dislike you, and not want to help you? If you have trouble working out the answer, then there may have been a slight error in your IQ measurement. :icon_scratch:

1 minute ago, brantuk said:

Just a friendly thought - have you ever considered what effect this sort of statement has on other people? Does it make them think you're friendly, like you, and want to help you? Or does it irritate them and make them think you're arrogant/bragging, dislike you, and not want to help you? If you have trouble working out the answer, then there may have been a slight error in your IQ measurement. :icon_scratch:

Yes I'm socially defunct, get used to it it's a diverse world.

1 minute ago, brantuk said:

Well - I don't see the need for deliberate social dysfunction - but I'll certainly give you full marks for honesty. I'm out of this thread and wish you good luck. :)

You are welcome, all the best.

OK guys enough, please. There are many moderators on this site but I'm the 'bad attitude moderator'. Right now, I am seeing bad attitude and don't like it. So, better attitude to other members on here please or expect sanctions - simples.

11 hours ago, Ukvegas said:

I have a 6 year old autistic son who is better than most at stacking and manipulating photos, he's also a little expert with animation.

Once we get used to the equipment and adaptation I will post you some of his deep space photos.

All the best.

Be sure to post them up... will look forward to seeing you and your son's results.

3 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Be sure to post them up... will look forward to seeing you and your son's results.

Yes, they should be quite something given the pedigree........... In the meantime I'll close this thread as it has more than run it's course.

• Tim locked this topic

Archived