Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ6 extension.

barkis

I have bought an 8" Extension to lift my 6" frac. up on the EQ6. I would have bought a white one, but Flo. only had a black one. I want to paint it, infact I have already done so, using an aerosol white silk enamel paint. It looks the dogs thingies,but, I fear it will mark quite easily, and with a black surface underneath, it may soon look fairly grotty.

So!. I am considering going over it with a plasticised white paint, to give it a bit of decent protection. I know it won't be bomb proof, but a bit better.

Does anyone have an alternative suggestion as to another type of coating I could use.?

Cheers.

Ron. :)

You could get it powder coated, shouldn't cost more than a few quid if you want it white as they'll probably be doing white stuff already and just add it to the batch.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Thanks KK, that would be Ideal if I could find a firm that does it up here. :)

Ron.

Well, I had a look in B&Q this morning, and saw a white Aerosol can with Plasti Kote on the label.

£5.98 wasn't too expensive, so I went for it. I have laid on three coats at the present time, and I am pleased with the look of it. I will give it a couple more and leave it at that.

I am sure it will be OK.

Thanks all for your Input on this.

Ron.

I am only starting to familiarise myself with the EQ6 Pro Mount. In the picture below, the barrel of the extension is attached to a disc of aluminium by three equispaced Allen headed screws. This disc has a boss which fits in the recess on the tripod top, and is held by the long threaded rod which comes through the tripod spreader. Tightening this long bolt is the only thing that prevents rotation of the mount when it is all assembled. This seems a bit Iffy to me, as there is no keying mechanism to prevent rotation. I would have thought a pin or bolt to lock that disc in place would be a desirable addition to this extension.

I am presuming I have got this thing assembled correctly, but I'm going to feel a right T**head if I haven't.

Ron. :clouds2:

8186_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

It certainly will be a more relaxing activity now Steve. Although I have never observed using the EQ6, I used to get into some leg cramping positions with my EQ5 mount, and believe me, at my age, the legs lock up very easily. :laughing2:

Ron.

Thanks guys, but my post was really to enquire about the potential for the extension to swivel, because there is no register for the bottom disc, to which the Barrel is bolted. The only thing holding it in alignment, is the central bolt coming up from the tripod spreader.

If that bolt was not extremely tightened, then there is the possibility of the whole mount rotating.

Anyone who has also fitted an extension, must have thought about this anomaly too.

I could always drill a hole through the bottom disc, and a corresponding hole in the tripod top plate, and either pin it, or tap a thread into the tripod plate hole, and put a bolt in there to prevent any possible rotation. There was no leaflet supplied with this extension, but I am sure it is not desirable just to depend on that centre bolt holding everything in place. It just doesn't seem right to me.

That is why I was wondering if I had assembled it wrong. But, there isn't another way as far as I can see. Any azimuth adjustment that may be necessary,is done at the top plate using the mounts own adjusting knobs, as would be the case if no extension was fitted.

Ron. :clouds2:

I assume the sticky up bit, that the azimuth adjusters press against, has been unscrewed in order to fit the extension. Presumably it is then screwed into the top of the extension.

Thinking about it, there shouldn't be much of a turning force on the extension to tripod joint, so a good tighten of the bolt should be sufficient - it also jams the spreader tight against the legs and keeps the whole thing good and rigid.

Can't help any more than that Ron. Sorry.

Mike

Yes I transferred the Azimuth adj. pillar to the top plate Mike. I know what you mean, if it is tightened sufficiently then it will be OK, but as an added precaution, I will pin it too. It's more to do with forgetfullness on my part. I just know I am bound to under tighten, or even forget altogether, so it will remain attached to the tripod when dismantled.

Ron.

You might need to keep an eye on your hand controller there Ron, when you slew it might pull it out of its holder, though it won't hit the floor now at least if it did.

Steve..

Duly noted Steve, I will make holder for it under the spreader plate out of the way.

I might eventually go EQMOD which will make it even safer. :laughing2:

Ron.

Archived