Fidget Spinner for dob base

rockystar

They are a new thing that the kids are playing with - it's become a bit of a craze in the playgrounds, apparently.

5 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

they're crying out for some sort of alternative use!

That's exactly what I thought, so was wondering if I could find some kind of astro use :)

4 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

But when you've got the printer (and you can get a workable one for £130), you won't need the fidget, as you can design & print things that are useful for Astronomy ... :hello2:

I do need a suitable box that I can attach to the side of my dob base, for another project, that I've yet to source.

Not sure they'd be any good for a smooth running dob base. Have you tried replacing the central sliding washer with layers plastic milk bottle material? Mine is running smoother with it. Needs about six layers though

3 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

But when you've got the printer (and you can get a workable one for £130), you won't need the fidget, as you can design & print things that are useful for Astronomy ... :hello2:

Is that the Startt 3D printer? https://www.imakr.com/en/startt-affordable-3d-printer/1146-startt-3d-printer.html I'm thinking of getting one. I'm told they're not bad for the price. Only prints small scale though

That looks to be a cut-down Wanhao i3, with a melzi control board, so can't be updated with auto bed levelling etc., but as long as you accept its limitations, it looks ok. 

Archived