SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Starry Night 7

crcooney

All,

Just wanted to see what you guys thought about the Starry Night 7 software. It came with my scope and I thought it would be great. I considered getting the Pro Plus before I found out Celestron gives a copy of 7se with their scopes, but I'm not very impressed with the version that I have, so it makes me wonder if the pricey pro plus would be about the same. I have a Surface pro 4 tablet that I love but after hours of trying to getting the software to install, I gave up and blew the dust off of my old laptop because I knew it would have the proper drivers. SN7 installed and I've been playing around with the program (don't yet have the scope to pc cable for control) but honestly I'm not impressed. My surface has StarWalk 2 that I use as a guide when I'm out observing which I feel is decent (constant compass cal issues). Also, if you can't get microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 on your pc/tablet, know that starry night and the ASCOM control won't install. I would have had to reinstall windows 10 on the surface (among other things) to get the .NET 3.5 drivers to install, which I felt was just too much. I'm very computer literate and it doesn't scare me, but I knew that my 6 year old, falling apart laptop could run it because it has windows 7.  It agitates me that the almost $1,000 Surface can't install the older 3.5 driver, but thats the first problem that I've had out of it. 

What's your thoughts on the software? Any others that you prefer?

Also, what other chart & control software is out there? I know of a few, just want to see what the opinions are. 

• 1 year later...

I used to use Starry Night Enthusiast 7 but it looks like the disc and software is old, eventhough it's Version 7. The problem is that the vendor has to release the correct driver/s for use on Windows 10. I had to resort to, using Orion's SE7. The problem is the company, not our computers. 

I remember seeing Starry Night 4 back in the day, and it looked good.  However, I've not seen anyone using it recently.    Personally, I have Carts Du Ceil for windows and SkySafari Pro for iOS.    Carts Du Ceil (however it's spelled) is free.

Frankly, I'd say don't pay for a start chart program if you can avoid it.  There's plenty of good free ones out there.    I made an exception for SkySafari, because it lets me connect to my scope over wifi, which is good for a wow factor for showing off to the public.

I use SkySafari 6 Pro on my Apple iPad, personally I prefer this app to anything else that I have ever used (incl. Stellarium, SkySafari Pro 4/5 and TheSky 4/5/6/X).  I do have Starry Night Pro Plus 6, but because I run Linux on my main Workstation - I cannot use it!  ?

The integration of the PGC catalogue is very useful as I have been able to find galaxies that most other programs don't include - my friends have been very impressed with this as well.

Personally, because I carry my iPad everywhere and it has a very long battery life - this is the perfect solution for me.  Yeah... I know its £50 for an app... but it's a good app!  :)

I have a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 1803 and I have no issues running Starry Night Pro 7 ProPlus. I am not sure what the driver issue is on yours. I don't remember having to install the .NET 3.5 drivers but it was a long time ago and it may have upgraded from Windows 7. I must admit that I have no interest in connecting it to a telescope so maybe I don't have the issues others do.

As for is it worth it I don't know. I orginally used it because of the all sky CCD image but it is not my first choice software.

Owen

Archived