Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_globular_clusters_winners.thumb.jpg.13b743f39f721323cb5d76f07724c489.jpg

All,

Just wanted to see what you guys thought about the Starry Night 7 software. It came with my scope and I thought it would be great. I considered getting the Pro Plus before I found out Celestron gives a copy of 7se with their scopes, but I'm not very impressed with the version that I have, so it makes me wonder if the pricey pro plus would be about the same. I have a Surface pro 4 tablet that I love but after hours of trying to getting the software to install, I gave up and blew the dust off of my old laptop because I knew it would have the proper drivers. SN7 installed and I've been playing around with the program (don't yet have the scope to pc cable for control) but honestly I'm not impressed. My surface has StarWalk 2 that I use as a guide when I'm out observing which I feel is decent (constant compass cal issues). Also, if you can't get microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 on your pc/tablet, know that starry night and the ASCOM control won't install. I would have had to reinstall windows 10 on the surface (among other things) to get the .NET 3.5 drivers to install, which I felt was just too much. I'm very computer literate and it doesn't scare me, but I knew that my 6 year old, falling apart laptop could run it because it has windows 7.  It agitates me that the almost $1,000 Surface can't install the older 3.5 driver, but thats the first problem that I've had out of it. 

What's your thoughts on the software? Any others that you prefer?

Also, what other chart & control software is out there? I know of a few, just want to see what the opinions are. 

I used to use Starry Night Enthusiast 7 but it looks like the disc and software is old, eventhough it's Version 7. The problem is that the vendor has to release the correct driver/s for use on Windows 10. I had to resort to, using Orion's SE7. The problem is the company, not our computers. 

I use Stellarium and the Stellarium Scope plugin  on my laptop running Windows 10 they work great and best of all are FREE!

Edited by wornish

I remember seeing Starry Night 4 back in the day, and it looked good.  However, I've not seen anyone using it recently.    Personally, I have Carts Du Ceil for windows and SkySafari Pro for iOS.    Carts Du Ceil (however it's spelled) is free.

Frankly, I'd say don't pay for a start chart program if you can avoid it.  There's plenty of good free ones out there.    I made an exception for SkySafari, because it lets me connect to my scope over wifi, which is good for a wow factor for showing off to the public.

I use SkySafari 6 Pro on my Apple iPad, personally I prefer this app to anything else that I have ever used (incl. Stellarium, SkySafari Pro 4/5 and TheSky 4/5/6/X).  I do have Starry Night Pro Plus 6, but because I run Linux on my main Workstation - I cannot use it!  ?

The integration of the PGC catalogue is very useful as I have been able to find galaxies that most other programs don't include - my friends have been very impressed with this as well.

Personally, because I carry my iPad everywhere and it has a very long battery life - this is the perfect solution for me.  Yeah... I know its £50 for an app... but it's a good app!  :)

Edited by EWHB

I have a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10 1803 and I have no issues running Starry Night Pro 7 ProPlus. I am not sure what the driver issue is on yours. I don't remember having to install the .NET 3.5 drivers but it was a long time ago and it may have upgraded from Windows 7. I must admit that I have no interest in connecting it to a telescope so maybe I don't have the issues others do.

As for is it worth it I don't know. I orginally used it because of the all sky CCD image but it is not my first choice software.

Owen

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By alexwolf
      Hello!
      Today we published first release candidate to version 0.19.1 - please help us testing Stellarium!
      List of changes between version 0.19.0 and master (0.19.0.16926/0.19.1RC1):
      - Added allow to search an inactive meteor showers in Search Tool/Lists tool
      - Added 'Azimuth vs. Time' graph into AstroCalc/Graphs tool
      - Added feature to show tracks for latest several selected planets (GH: #539)
      - Added calculation and showing the orbital period for artificial satellites
      - Added revolutions per day info for artificial satellites
      - Added tools for jumping to the next or previous time of rising, transit or setting for selected object (GH: #484)
      - Added new behavoir for AstroCalc/Graphs when clicking within graph area now sets current time.
      - Fixed issue in script 'Mercury Triple Sunrise and Sunset'
      - Fixed crash of Stellarium for eyepieces with permanent crosshair
      - Fixed Stellarium crash when Remote Control plugin is working
      - Fixed computation of assume radius for minor planets.
      - Fixed the issue of the scrolling not working properly on Mac (GH: #393)
      - Fixed crash in Scripting Engine (Hide artificial satellites through StelProperties in core.clear() method to avoid crash if plugin was didn't loaded)
      - Fixed planetarium crash in HiPS (network manager delete problem)
      - Fixed position problems on the Poles (GH: #391)
      - Fixed scaling Telrad sign on HighDPI monitors
      - Fixed surface occlusion bug even with landscape turned off in scripting engine (GH: #680)
      - Fixed building with cmake -DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS=ON (GH: #683)
      - Fixed error in constellation file format (Babylonian)
      - Fixed Europe/Volgograd time zone settings (GH: #686)
      - Fixed HiPS handling of allsky download (GH: #671)
      - Fixed progress bar rendering (GH: #671)
      - Fixed positive declinations issue in AstroCalc tool when option 'Use decimal degrees' is enabled (GH: #690)
      - Fixed file names inconsistency
      - Fixed constellation line in "Japanese Moon Stations" skyculture
      - Fixed file name for constellation boundaries in Stellarium User Guide
      - Fixed the user interface problems in Oculars plug-in (GH: #580)
      - Fixed getting the wrong values in objects/info method for selected object for different formats (Remote Control plugin)
      - Fixed refresh plots when AstroCalc dialog becomes visible again (AstroCalc/Graphs tool)
      - Fixed jquery vulnerability (GH: #694)
      - Fixed date and time dialog behaviour: Hour/Minute/Second spinners now correctly trigger signals dateChanged(), dateChangedByYear and dateChangedForMonth() when days, months or years are affected by it.
      - Fixed update graphs in AstroCalc/Graphs tool when days change
      - Updated planetary nomenclature
      - Updated common names of stars and DSO's
      - Updated cmake rules for Windows deployment
      - Updated DSO textures
      - Updated behaviour of HiPS survey if Stellarium started without network (GH: #681)
      - Updated GUI for ArchaeoLines plugin (GH: #689, #682)
      - Updated default pulsars catalog (v1.60)
      - Updated list of asterisms
      - Excluded Armintxe skyculture and landscape from default package
      Download link: https://github.com/Stellarium/stellarium-data/releases/tag/beta
    • By Arpad
      Dear all,
      I am considering in upgrading to Starry Night Pro Plus 8, does anyone know the detailed differences between Pro Plus 7 and 8?
      I find the webpage description vague, they have a new sky calendar, but how is it different to the older one? Also, how is the new deep sky database improved? And it states on their website that stars are available in 3D, have they made all stars available in 3D now? I would also like to know your experiences so far.
      Thank you for your help and time!
    • By noah4x4
      I wasn't sure where to post this tip....it is probably of most use here....
      Many of us with observatories or indoor Mission Control use Windows 10 Pro Remote Desktop to control a scope side computer running camera and scope control software from a second computer indoors. This works superbly at 1080p resolution.
      However, I have struggled for a year trying to perfect a wireless solution that works with 4K UHD cameras terminating in a 4K UHD display.  Until now, whilst cat 6 cable does work fine, wireless even at 5Ghz 802.11ac has struggled with some lag and poor performance. I have spent a fortune upgrading wireless adapters and range extenders, but this isn't the issue!
      Here is a solution;
      1.  Seperate your dual band network into distinct 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz channels.
      This is easy with  (say) a BT Home Hub. If you don't do this, it can be a bit hit or miss whether your 5 Ghz wireless adapters connect to the right channel. You will now see TWO channels, one at 2.4 Ghz with a suffix like <hub name> and another at 5 Ghz named <hub name -5>. Connect your 5Ghz adapters to the latter. If your internal adapters are merely 2.4Ghz, you can disable them via Device Manager and plug in a USB version costing around £5. Note that at 5 Ghz wireless range might drop. If so, a Netgear EX8000 wireless extender is recommended as it employs 'mesh' technology. 
      2. ONLY if you have a fast network, and powerful CPUs and quality graphics card, try DISABLE 'RemoteFX compression' in RDP.
      This allows uncompressed screen data to flow across RDP.  I have found this improves performance whether using 802.11ac wireless or cat 6 cable. What RemoteFX compression appears to do is limit effective RDP speeds to under 10Mbps (due to translation times). That is crazy if you have 433 Mbps adapters,  and an 802.11ac network (or catv6 cable). Unleash the beast! Send across uncompressed data! The issue is not with speed or bandwidth, it is an artificially imposed limit in RDP.
      To do this type 'Edit Group Policy' in the Windows 10 Pro search box (doesn't work in Win 10 Home). You need to drill down through about five levels of Windows Configeration Folders, and Administration Templates and Remote Desktop Services/Host folders to find a utility named <Edit RemoteFX Compression>. In that, your options are <disable> compression or <enable> a compromise mode.
      If you don't know how to do this try Googling 'Disabling RemoteFX Compression' to find a lengthy Microsoft tutorial. Or visit https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/performance-tuning/role/remote-desktop/session-hosts .
      I deliberately don't here state the quick route sequence to access this deeply embedded network utility command because you are delving deep into developer/administrator territory and do need to understand what you are doing and how to revert to your original RDP settings if your network can't handle these levels of uncompressed screen data. We don't want any novice attempting this on a cheap Compute Stick on an inadequate network!
      3.  When employing RDP from your computer indoors, select <WAN 10 Mbps> or <LAN 10 Mbps> as appropriate via <Options><Experience>. The default <auto-select my connectivity> often selects too low an option. The irony here is you can select this and still not enjoy faster speeds unless you have edited/disabled RemoteFX compression.
      I now have Atik Infinity plus CPWI software running in an end to end 4K UHD system terminating in a 4K UHD monitor. Over 802.11ac wireless it is now rock steady.  Over cat 6 cable my system is now turbo powered. If you don't need RemoteFX Compression, don't let it restrict your network performance. It is evidently set to ensure it works on lowest common denominator networks. If you have a fast network/CPU, disable RemoteFX compression and finally release the beast of 4k UHD over RDP.

• By Gfamily
      I gave a demonstration/workshop at my local Astro Group* about a simple way of removing light pollution from an Astro Photo. 
      The description I gave was deliberately for beginners, using a wide angle tripod shot photo and using one of the easiest packages to get to grips with (Paint.net). 
      The attached pdf covers the basic technique. 
      I'd appreciate any feedback on it. 

* The Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group - all welcome, we meet on the last Friday of the Month.
      LP MCAG.pdf
    • By John Braithwaite
      I cannot get my starry night pro plus 7 on an iMacOS high Sierra computer to communicate with the NexStar+ hand set on a CPC Celestron telscope.
      I have upgraded the handset from version 4 to version 5 and bought a new usb data cable , plus a 5-Pin Mini B Cable to fit into the NexStar+ handset,all to no avail. Please help!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.