Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mount slew to wrong location the first few times during a session (CPWI+NINA)

lskov

Hi.

I have an issue where my mount (CGX) slew to the wrong location the first couple of times during a session, when I slew to a location via NINA. The problem goes away, when I disconnect and then connect the telescope in NINA a few times.

My process is the following:

1. Setup equipment and power everything (through cables - no mini computer)
  2. Connect to the mount via CPWI, quick align and then polar align using SharpCap.
  3. Connect the equipment to NINA
  4. Slew to a location

I've setup NINA to use the time/location from the mount as this is up to date from CWPI.

I connect from NINA using CPWI and not ASCOM. I've tried using ASCOM but the problem is the same.

The first couple of times the telescope slew to a location way of the mounts limits so I need to stop it. But after disconnecting and disconnecting the telescope in NINA a few times, the problem solve itself and there are no further issues during the entire session. The location and time in both CWPI and NINA seems to match both before and after the issue.

I just wonder why the issue could be? Is the order of my process wrong?

On 20/09/2022 at 06:06, lskov said:

Connect to the mount via CPWI, quick align and then polar align using SharpCap.

It's been a long time since my last image session, also never used NINA. But what i used to do is first do the polar alignment and then do the star alignments. I think if you do the other way around you will mess with your stars alignment after the polar alignment. 

Also after i learned how to use image solving (plate solving) and syncing, i  never bothered again to do any star alignment manually because it's a much easier and repeatable process. NINA is a very capable software, I'm sure that it may also have this feature. 

Edited by Atreta

Agreed, why do the star alignment first as it surely won't be accurate after you've polar aligned, also there's a question why you're star aligning, plate solving will be far more accurate anyway 

Not so sure why you want to use the CPWI and Nina both together, Nina is quite capable of running it on its own, why use 2 tools to do the same job

Edited by newbie alert
Added info

4 hours ago, newbie alert said:

Agreed, why do the star alignment first as it surely won't be accurate after you've polar aligned, also there's a question why you're star aligning, plate solving will be far more accurate anyway 

Not so sure why you want to use the CPWI and Nina both together, Nina is quite capable of running it on its own, why use 2 tools to do the same job

Yeah, zero reason to star align if you're using Nina. Plate solve wins the day every time

On 20/09/2022 at 11:06, lskov said:

I have an issue where my mount (CGX) slew to the wrong location the first couple of times

Hi

I am wondering how you end the session with NINA. Do you park the scope to a custom position, home position or just turn it all off?

4 hours ago, Varavall said:

Hi

I am wondering how you end the session with NINA. Do you park the scope to a custom position, home position or just turn it all off?

Various ways to do it, you can press park, or incorporate it in a sequence.. as for position I'm sure you can have it in the home position ot horizontal, or in your own custom park..

1 hour ago, newbie alert said:

Various ways to do it, you can press park, or incorporate it in a sequence.. as for position I'm sure you can have it in the home position ot horizontal, or in your own custom park..

Yes. I know all that. This was a question for Iskov so we can see where his mount is starting from.

• Haha 1