Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M51

1hr 35 mins hours of data from last night (didn't start till 1am).

Shot on a Canon 100D (unmodded) - 19x300 secs @ 800 ISO, 19 darks, 30 bias, 26 flats and processed in Pixinsight. I've cropped it like this to include NGC 5229, IC 4263 and NGC 5198

I live in a very light polluted area (Wakefield which, according to Star Gazing Live 2017 is one of the most light polluted places in the country!) so I'm pretty happy with the end result. I have just started astroimaging (this is my fourth effort) so any comments or tips are welcome.

Would modding my 100D make a lot of difference? If so, what? And should I go for Full Spectrum or Filter removal?

I aim to gather more subs on Friday if all remains well with the forecast.

M51

Modding won't help massively with this particular target, but will help with others for sure. If you go full spectrum, you will need to add an IR/UV filter into your setup otherwise the unfiltered UV and IR light will hit your sensor and not be focused and cause bloating, and unless you fancy some IR imaging, then I would just get a filter replacement mod. Given you are in a light polluted area, a LP filter almost certainly will help your existing setup.

Nice image.

Archived