NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Big prom, August 27th

Starman

A gap in the clouds this afternoon gave me a chance to catch the big prom first reported yesterday. This is a single exposure image (not a single frame!) but the different components have been processed using different techniques...

2008-08-27_15-27-42_SF100ss.jpg

Yes very nice picture :salute:

How long do these proms take to evolve? Is it an 'instant' explosion or does it take hours to reach that sort of size?

And how long do they stay there for?

Sorry for the questions..just interested.

Thank you

Andy

Thanks Andy/Stephen.

Andy - no need to apologise for your questions, they're very valid.

It's common to look at the Sun and just see the promiences there. This happens due to a number of reasons such as the fact that they've grown overnight or even rotated into view overnight. Occasionally you do get to see them form and when this happens, they can take minutes or a number of hours to appear. The one below appeared rather quickly.

A big prom will typically stay on view for a few days, again either fading to nothing or possibly rotating out of view. Then there are those which are very active and subside in just a few minutes. I've got a number of animations yet to be put together, where the interval between shots is as short as 20s. In most cases, there's still a load of stuff moving about even on such short timescales!

2008-05-12_12-22-28_SVF70ss.jpg

The sun has many faces, and thanks to the solar imagers on SGL, we get a front row seat to see them. We are indebted to you guys. It is great that you bring them to us, otherwise, a whole host of us would be denied these wonderful images.

This one is a fearsome example of the suns awesome power.

Tremendous image this one Pete, I think the largest prominence I've seen, or is it just closer in.? :)

Ron

Thanks Ron.

This one is a medium-sized prominence, some can be much larger. The SF-100 filter does have the advantage that it can get in for a nice close up :(

Any closer Pete, and I'll be making my morning toast off the puter screen. :)

Archived