SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

m51 and m101 with 50mm

So I am currently at my grandma and grandpas, and they live in an area where the milky way is clearly visible at moonless nights. I took advantage of this the other day as the sky was clear, so I get my telescope, binocular and camera outside at dusk. My main goal was to try out my 50mm f/1.8 lens for the first time under darks skies, but i also wanted to try out my bins(naturesport 10X50 wa). I shot a couple of test frames all over the sky to check out what I should focus on. As I took a frame of the handle of the big dipper, I tried zooming in at the area where i knew m51 would be placed. Even tho I didn't expect anything as the moon was full, I noticed a slight glow from the galaxy. This made me really excited as I wasn't expecting to capture it with a 50mm lens. I checked the area where m101 was located, and wow! I could also see this galaxy!

Because of all of this, I continued shooting frames at this target, so in the end, I had 75 frames of 6 seconds each, f/3.2 and iso 800 taken with a nikon d3300. processed in deep sky stacker and adobe lightroom cc 2017.

58efc46855bcb_M101m51.thumb.jpg.7757749028ce3f5dc8c2c6a14dc6e178.jpg
Any feedback is appreciated!

clear skies!

Victor Boesen 

Nice work. Well done.! :) I managed to capture Vesta in a widefield shot the other night with a single 5 second exposure with my bridge camera. Would love to capture a galaxy too with it too, so may try capture the same area of sky over the coming bank holiday weekend. :) 

8 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Nice work. Well done.! :) I managed to capture Vesta in a widefield shot the other night with a single 5 second exposure with my bridge camera. Would love to capture a galaxy too with it too, so may try capture the same area of sky over the coming bank holiday weekend. :) 

Thanks, appreciate it alot!

Archived