Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep3_banner.thumb.jpg.5533fb830ae914798f4dbbdd2c8a5853.jpg

Damn, I didn't know there was a program with all of that info incorporated, that would make using the Wixey as a PushTo so much easier than faffing about trying to input RA and DEC coordinates to a website.

I actually messaged the SkEye Developer yesterday to see if this is something they could incorporate in to their app, if not I'll just have to invest in SkySafari.  Thanks @Stu :-)

Edited by BeerMe
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BeerMe said:

Damn, I didn't know there was a program with all of that info incorporated, that would make using the Wixey as a PushTo so much easier than faffing about trying to input RA and DEC coordinates to a website.

I actually messaged the SkEye Developer yesterday to see if this is something they could incorporate in to their app, if not I'll just have to invest in SkySafari.  Thanks @Stu :-)

Have you tried Stellarium? It's free and will give similar info?

I still think SkySafari is much better, but you can find this info in free apps

IMG_0630.PNG

So is 'apparent' alt/az the distance above the horizon, as opposed to above the celestial? 

18 minutes ago, BeerMe said:

So is 'apparent' alt/az the distance above the horizon, as opposed to above the celestial? 

Exactly! 

• Like 1

Skysafari is a superb app, sometimes they have half price offers 

I had considered the Wixey some Years back, but so far not fully tempted, even my phone app has something similar! 
Like most equipment, Telrad's, Tele Vue's, whatever, I will buy an item if there's an interest, as you won't know until I try.

I think there's enough information here for me to avoid the Wixey device. :hmh:

Hi,

I Tend to use the alt az coordinates given by either Mobile Observatory or Sky Safari but free programs such as Stellarium will do the same. As I sqid though your base meeds to be level and the time qnd location needs to be accurate and make sure you use the current time as some apps freeze the time and coordinates once the object is selected.

CHeers

• Like 1

For anyone that uses setting circles, can you check my plan to make one here;

Any input would be greatly appreciated :-)

Wixey (mine is actually Duratool) comes in very handy for all sorts of things, but don't overestimate its precision is only 0.1 degree.

Yes the accuracy is about 0.1 degrees so i tend to use a widefiled eyepiece with about a 1 degree field and if my scope is level , with accurate location and time then i can usually get the object in the fov.

Cheers

• Like 2

Also worth stating that adjusting the settings so that the altitude reading on the SkySafari can be altered to read 'decimal' like the wixey rather than hours minutes etc

16 hours ago, Bart said:

Also worth stating that adjusting the settings so that the altitude reading on the SkySafari can be altered to read 'decimal' like the wixey rather than hours minutes etc

THanks Bart,

I Didnt know that so ill have a look.

CHeers

Yeah, Astro monkey I find it very handy.