Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ASI1600mm-c V QHY163m

LightBucket

Hi all,

I am seriously looking at one of the above mentioned cameras, either the ASI or QHY offering of essentially the same camera, with a few subtle differences, I like the fact the QHY has built in 128mb memory buffer to make the transfer of images quicker, and stops most of the Amp glow caused by the read noise when used on a USB 2.0 port, (not too much of a problem with USB 3.0), also the sealed sensors with heated window is a plus.

I like the USB 3.0 hub built into the ASI camera

So as you can see I am edging towards the QHY version, has anybody here got any thoughts on the beat one to go for and why....?

William :)

2 hours ago, sloz1664 said:

Hi William,

have a read of this post for the QHY 163M.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/553880-exploring-qhy163m-beta-a-tester’s-impressions/

Steve

Thanks very much for that, just what I was looking for....

I think I am edging towards the QHY, but I will probably go back and fourth for a while yet...lol :)

5 hours ago, John78 said:

The QHY looks like its £400 cheaper than the ASI!

Personally, I'd be tempted to spend some time comparing specs and reviews, unless of course there was an immediate need to purchase.

Price differential can dealt with by deferment of purchase pending bolstering of budgetary capability.

:)

5 hours ago, LightBucket said:

Around £200 cheaper on this offer, it's the colour version I think you may have looked at, as that is only £899

http://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/cameras/cooled-ccd/qhy163-mono/

I don't quite understand why the colour versions are cheaper, surely adding the bayer matrix should increase the cost?

2 minutes ago, frugal said:

I don't quite understand why the colour versions are cheaper, surely adding the bayer matrix should increase the cost?

I would guess the market for colour sensors is much bigger giving economies of scale.

Yeah the colours are cheaper because the sensor is off the shelf, or a spare part to whatever camera it belongs in.

It is £400 cheaper if you buy direct from QHY.

i fully agree Lightbucket - "quality remains long after price is forgotten"

Archived