Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mount-mounted accessories solution required

DRT

I have an AZ-EQ6 that now has a StarSense camera & handset and SkySync GPS attached as well as the power from my Tracer battery pack and various cables for dew control. Basically, more wires than any man should need :eek:

It strikes me that if I had some sort of panel or box attached to the top part of my mount I could completely eliminate the problem of cord wrap and having multiple devices clinging to the legs of my tripod.

Does anyone have a solution to this that they have either made or purchased?

• 2 weeks later...

Derek,

In short ..NO

In fact I am up looking to solve a similar issue for myself. I have my equipment permanently installed in an observatory, so really I should have tackled the cable problem some while back.

I share your frustrations with loops of power and usb cables causing all sorts of snagging issues and it looks a real mess.  I started with looking at the power supply issue and installed a 12v regulated supply that I  purchased in Maplins and then made up some bespoke power cables. What I really want to do now is mount a powered USB hub up on the OTA, so I'm currenty searching for an affordable 12v USB hub, though of course most are 5V supplied, which complicates things slightly.

You may have already seen this https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-mount-hub-pro-v3.html

It may be a solution for some of your issues, but for me its too expensive unfortunately.

Good luck...

Steve

Thanks for the link, Steve. Expensive indeed!

I'm currently thinking that I could buy or build a small wire basket with metal hooks (perhaps bicycle hooks?) that would loop over the top of the central part of the AZ-EQ6 mount head. I could then place my battery and the various bits of the StarSense, GPS and SkyFi in the basket so that everything would move with the mount when it slews or tracks with no trailing wires. 

I've bought one of these enclosures http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222440112337?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT into which I'll fit a Raspberry Pi, USB 3.0 hub, Focus controller, Dew heater controllers, power regulators etc. which I'm planning to mount to the top of tube rings. My goal is to keep all the control\signal\power cables as short as possible.

In effect it will be a complete imaging\control system based on INDI, so that all that will be required, is a power source and, for me, a wired network connection, so it can be driven from indoors. 

The enclosure is a little large, but I'll source a more apt sized case when I've got this one working..

Sometime the simple solutions are the best...

1. Remove cap from Polar alignment hole on top of AZ-EQ6. 

2. Insert Cheshire eyepiece in hole. 

3. Stuff battery, bits and bobs and all the wires into a Scope Coat bag. 

4. Hang bag from Cheshire eyepiece. 

5. All stuff and wires now move with mount head, no trailing, no snagging, no cord wrap :grin:

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0273.JPG

On 26/03/2017 at 23:09, DRT said:

I have an AZ-EQ6 that now has a StarSense camera & handset and SkySync GPS attached as well as the power from my Tracer battery pack and various cables for dew control. Basically, more wires than any man should need :eek:

It strikes me that if I had some sort of panel or box attached to the top part of my mount I could completely eliminate the problem of cord wrap and having multiple devices clinging to the legs of my tripod.

Does anyone have a solution to this that they have either made or purchased?

Made my boxes up some time ago to do just that. Only three wires up to the scope now. Two of which are power. I use separate ones for dew and camera. You probably can get away with just two. The last pic is before I actually finished an was just testing things. I use two boxes as there are several voltage/power converters, one each side. Best of luck with your venture.

Derek

575aac959c690_ScopeConnectionbox.thumb.jpg.aa0aa5a2abbd265b17f53772c40ed742.jpg56c45e1a1cceb_20160217_1117431.thumb.jpg.9e4ece648a71510652cdd1a8f53a7ec0.jpgpost-3291-0-28379200-1449531940_thumb.jpeg

Archived