SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Three Sisters!

Paul M

So, the long suffering, non-astro MD just let the dog out for her bed time ablutions and came in to excitedly tell me that the "Three Sisters" are bright tonight!

I guessed what she meant but went to confirm anyway and show some enthusiasm for her effort - only about the third time in nearly 28 years of marriage!

But yes, Orion's Belt looked lovely. Sat almost perfectly horizontal over the neighbours garage roof. 

As I waxed lyrical about Beetljuice (small steps..) and other bright stars, I looked round and realised I was talking to myself.

The more things change, the more they stay the same! :)

On 23/03/2017 at 23:20, acey said:

I'd never heard of Orion's Belt being called the Three Sisters, but it's apparently a recognised name (on Wikipedia at any rate):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion's_Belt

My other half calls it the three kings, which I had not heard before myself but I see its also on the list.  I actually think it's a pretty cool name for it.

Well our wife and I had abit of a row the other day concerning the neq6 I bought last year basically because I haven't used it as much as I should so it was a waste of money so on one clear night(can't remember when)I decided to start setting up when our wife had a right go at me saying it was too cold,I was letting the cold in and she wanted me to stay in to watch a film together so..........?

I hadnt heard of the sisters either.

Well, I've only ever heard it/them called Orion's Belt or by their given names. I was just impressed that the MD had noticed the sky! I think it was a stab at the Seven Sister, a term she has heard me use. But plainly there were only 3 of them, so thinking on her feet.... 

I'm sorry if I've opened marital or sub-marital wounds. It is a cross we have to bear. :)

Archived