Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New to astronamy and SGL

Messier 104

On ‎21‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 23:29, Paul M said:

Hi and welcome.

That there 150P is what many of us dreamed of in the days when such things were difficult to come by and were expensive. It's a great work horse and should serve you very well for many years. Mine did and still does!

The only advice I would give with regards to observing DSO's is get out to your preferred dark sky site and get stuck in. Above all don't expect too much. The brilliant images posted on here don't represent any reality that is visible with the eye at the telescope. They are computer generated lies!! :):) 

Just take your time. The ability to see subtle detail is governed by a number of interplaying factors. Sky conditions, distance above the horizon, telescope size, age of the observer and not least, skill. Skill is acquired by patient observing. Making sketches at the eyepiece is a great way to get to know an object but I've not done that for many years myself.

Comets can be very tricky. Their advertised magnitudes are for their total light output and when spread over a diffuse fuzz ball can be unexpectedly dim and difficult.

You need a good planetarium program or mobile app loaded with the up-to-date orbital data for comets. That way you can identify a star field and star-hop to the exact location of the comet you are looking for. It's very satisfying when you finally succeed. Just keep an ear to the ground on here for news of what comets are visible at any time. Stellarium (not the mobile app) is as good as it gets for desk-top/lap-top and my choice by a country mile for mobile is SkySafari. Both will get you all the comet info you'll ever need.

There are a couple knocking round just now but not easy targets. 

This one is currently near Merak in Ursa Major but it's going to be tricky visually:

The good news is that we are getting over due for another good one! :)

Hi and thanks Paul.

I strongly agree about the scope, although I haven't got the amount o fuse out of it I would like it has proven a very good choice. I spent a long time on various website learning about what is important when buying a scope and by the looks of the comments on the scope it paid of well.

The best look at a DSO for me was Andromeda. I have found it whilst looking in my garden but when I go to a much darker site I can see a massive difference, still think I could get a better view with a even darker site so im still searching.

I recently read that training the eye and brain to be able to see fine detail through the scope can make a big difference.. and as it happens they said that making sketches of what you see is a very good way of training yourself. thanks for the confirmation though ;)

THANKS!! I never knew this about comets so that will definitely help me know if im finding what im trying to find, if im looking for a +11 comet now I know it may not actually look +11.

You have done well here Paul, those sky maps sound very useful. I have only had ones that don't show comets. someone else has mentioned Stellarium so will definitely be using that ASAP. my mobile app is really not very good so having skysaffari sounds like a much better choice.

thanks a lot for the reply been very helpful.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 02:00, Dave In Vermont said:

Hello, M104, and welcome to SGL - it's great to have you join us!

We all love questions being asked, and answers being found. So no worries asking yours in these forums.

Starry Skies -

Dave

Thanks dave cant wait to really get stuck in and start making some real progress.

everyone here seems very nice and very happy to share knowledge, opinions and experiences.

starry skies to you too.

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 07:28, swag72 said:

Hi and welcome to SGL  - This is a great place full of helpful people with friendly advice. Glad that you found us :)

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Thanks sara, yes lots of hepful and friendly people, loving it already ;) 

see you around :)

1 hour ago, Peco4321 said:

Forecast for me in East Yorkshire looks good for the next few days, typical, I'm out at parties fri and sat. May take it easy and still go out when home, something I would never have thought of before this hobby took hold. 

When I started I sort of just bumbled around loving clear views of star fields, quickly got into finding globular clusters, moved on to DSO's (planetary Nebula, galaxies etc) love the moon when it spoils the hunt for DSO's and also Jupiter is now getting in a good position. 

The timing of you getting going matches me starting in this March last year do it will be interesting to see how you progress. The Astro photography bug bit me, albeit extremely amateur compared to images on here. 

Please feel free to ask anything. 

Peter. 

Yeah take it easy im sure your find some time when you get back for a quick look;), if its clear id take any chance you can get!

That all seems very familiar. been waiting for Jupiter for a while now, absolutely loved it last year but wasn't able to see the great red spot. this year iv set myself the challenge of observing the red spot as well as a moon transit (preferably Ganymede as im probably most likely to catch a look of the shadow or hopefully the moon itself in front of Jupiter).

YES I know the feeling, the more images and the more I read how people get these amazing images does make me want to start imaging. my only problem is im not over computer minded and feel like I may struggle with the processing side of things. as well as the hole exposure times and that sort of stuff, I understand what's happening I just don't understand how to do it and how to know what is best for any taken target. maybe in a few months time ill be sending you a message for any beginners advise with imaging, just for know id like to really build my knowledge on visual observing.

Thanks for that Peter all much appreciated

Hi everyone.

Thanks a lot for the very warm welcome from everyone I really appreciate it.

Some really helpful information on my first little "im new" topic so cant wait to actually start with some real question.

you all seem very nice and I do hope to hear from everyone of you again soon.

thank you guys for making me feel so welcome and of course.. Clear skies to all!

5 hours ago, Messier 104 said:

hi thanks for the welcome.

In fact I do already have turn left at Orion :) its very easy to use and a great book. my only problem with it is I don't get much time to really get in depth with it due to the cloud cover we have had since new years. its been very bad around Bristol.

Telrad??, not heard of that kind of map, will have a quick Google now see if I can find one.

thanks for the help.

http://avila.star-shine.ch/astro/messiercharts/messierTelrad.htm

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/telrad-finder-astronomy.html

These are brilliant. 

37 minutes ago, wookie1965 said:

wow that messier list is very easy to use, THANKS!

and that finder scope does look a lot better for star hoping than my 6x30 finder. may have to invest on pay day ;)

Thanks

21 hours ago, Messier 104 said:

Yeah take it easy im sure your find some time when you get back for a quick look;), if its clear id take any chance you can get!

That all seems very familiar. been waiting for Jupiter for a while now, absolutely loved it last year but wasn't able to see the great red spot. this year iv set myself the challenge of observing the red spot as well as a moon transit (preferably Ganymede as im probably most likely to catch a look of the shadow or hopefully the moon itself in front of Jupiter).

YES I know the feeling, the more images and the more I read how people get these amazing images does make me want to start imaging. my only problem is im not over computer minded and feel like I may struggle with the processing side of things. as well as the hole exposure times and that sort of stuff, I understand what's happening I just don't understand how to do it and how to know what is best for any taken target. maybe in a few months time ill be sending you a message for any beginners advise with imaging, just for know id like to really build my knowledge on visual observing.

Thanks for that Peter all much appreciated

have a look for a Windows Desktop app called "Jupiter 2.0" by AstroSurf, it'll show you when you can see the GRS, where the moons are and when they will transit.

I love sticking the time in fast forward mode and watching the moons dance around.

32 minutes ago, rockystar said:

have a look for a Windows Desktop app called "Jupiter 2.0" by AstroSurf, it'll show you when you can see the GRS, where the moons are and when they will transit.

I love sticking the time in fast forward mode and watching the moons dance around.

Great thanks a lot for that.

I get this astronomy magazine Astronomy now, for this April they have a little section that show dates and time for the GRS and moon/moon shadow transits. the problem with this is its only for April. This will come in handy after April, cant imagine clear enough skies to see a moon transit within April. but hey got to stay positive ;) 

Thanks a lot, Tom

Enjoy SGL,  there isn't  anything you won't find a  answer for here.   I can only assume you like the Sombrero  Galaxy a lot to choose it as a username :icon_biggrin:.              You seem well equipped  to pursue  the  deep sky for the fuzzies, so the advice I can offer in that respect, is to use averted vision during your observing sessions.   Sometimes looking directly at a faint galaxy  or Nebula fails to reveal it,  but by using your peripheral  vision, they can pop out as if by magic.                           There is much knowledge   in the population of  SGL, so just ask your questions in the relevant sections, and you will  receive loads of replies.   If you experience any technical  problems regarding  the forum itself, contact a Moderator  Green names, or an Admin. Blue names.        

Best Wishes. 

On ‎24‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 13:00, barkis said:

Enjoy SGL,  there isn't  anything you won't find a  answer for here.   I can only assume you like the Sombrero  Galaxy a lot to choose it as a username :icon_biggrin:.              You seem well equipped  to pursue  the  deep sky for the fuzzies, so the advice I can offer in that respect, is to use averted vision during your observing sessions.   Sometimes looking directly at a faint galaxy  or Nebula fails to reveal it,  but by using your peripheral  vision, they can pop out as if by magic.                           There is much knowledge   in the population of  SGL, so just ask your questions in the relevant sections, and you will  receive loads of replies.   If you experience any technical  problems regarding  the forum itself, contact a Moderator  Green names, or an Admin. Blue names.        

Best Wishes. 

Hi thanks a lot for the welcome :) 

YES.. I love the sombrero galaxy, been my favourite looking galaxy for a while, I was blown away to stuff like this actually exist, though I haven't managed to observe it yet.

Great, thanks for the advice with adverted vision. I have tried it a few times with jupiters GRS (trying to tease it out but not managed that yet either) but to be honest iv not really thought about it when struggling to see DSOs. going to try find the leo triplet and M64 for the first time on the next clear night so will try it out then :)

Thanks Barkis, clear skies to you.

Archived