Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Reprocess of Jupiter data from March 16

Fiddled around with settings, and found that first scaling up with 1.5x drizzle in AS!2, processing in Registax, and then slight down-scaling gives me the best results. The best RGB image was the last (not too surprising as seeing clearly increased with altitude).

58cee00bc0e54_Jupiter_005939_g4_ap83_Drizzle15RS3crop.jpg.f92eb023afb7ad2e3b06e55aece470dc.jpg

I also made two animations, one cropped:

Jupiter_003707_g4_ap83_Drizzle15RS3_pipp.gif.0079d675a2f4e28d5324ca346fa597b2.gif

one wider view showing a moon:

Jupiter_003707_g4_ap83_Drizzle15RS3_pipp.thumb.gif.b0f31e615e1b578d67fb57bab750d88c.gif

I also tweaked the IR result in a similar way:

Cropped

Jupiter_005020_pipp_g3_ap83_Drizzle15RS3scaledcropped.jpg.f5c0f556faa6ca26d8d6eb1b19042c4d.jpg

Wider view

Jupiter_005020_pipp_g3_ap83_Drizzle15RS3scaled.thumb.jpg.78b72ee1c96c55e3c9d2c6c46343f1c2.jpg

Not too bad on a night with mediocre seeing

Nice images Michael - shows you don't have to have a C14 for planetary!

Interesting that the background colour (eg between the two belts) is nearly white, or even slightly blueish; my images (and my visual view) are always the same, and yet I note that many published images (eg front cover of AN this month) show the background colour as creamy-ish, like Saturn. I wonder which is more accurate?

Chris

5 minutes ago, chiltonstar said:

Nice images Michael - shows you don't have to have a C14 for planetary!

Interesting that the background colour (eg between the two belts) is nearly white, or even slightly blueish; my images (and my visual view) are always the same, and yet I note that many published images (eg front cover of AN this month) show the background colour as creamy-ish, like Saturn. I wonder which is more accurate?

Chris

Cheers, Chris. I think the colour is largely due to the auto-colour balance button in Registax. In reality the colour is roughly beige (assuming daylight adaptation of the eye), but that does not mean we would perceive it that way if we were close to Jupiter, as the eye tends to do an "auto-white balance" itself.

1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Cheers, Chris. I think the colour is largely due to the auto-colour balance button in Registax. In reality the colour is roughly beige (assuming daylight adaptation of the eye), but that does not mean we would perceive it that way if we were close to Jupiter, as the eye tends to do an "auto-white balance" itself.

Hmm.....maybe. And yet if you look at both Jupiter and Saturn with the naked eye, Jupiter always looks blue-white, like a fainter Venus, and Saturn definitely creamy yellow (as a spectroscopist, I fret/OCD about colour rendition).

Chris

Archived