NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Which telescope should I choose?

I am looking for a tracking scope that will also allow me to do astrophotography and have a few in mind in my price range.

I am looking for some good advice on the best scope for my needs as I don't want to waste money on a scope that isn't easy to use.

My queries are..Ease of attaching DSLR ( I currently have skywatcher dob easy to attach via 2" focuser )

Which has a good FOV?

Best quality optics?

Ease of use of synscan/goto? I don't have a massive amount of sky, re alignment.

Fast or slow scope.

Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks ?

List of possible candidates...........

Nexstar 4se

Nexstar 130slt

Nexstar 102slt

Skywatcher startravel 102 

Skywatcher Explorer 130p

Skywatcher star discovery 150p

Heritage virtuoso 114

I am looking for the highest resolution I can get too.

Don't want much do I ?

Thanks all.

What sort of astrophotography are you looking to do? Planetary or DSOs? I'm sure the imagers can advise you better than I, but while planetary imaging can be done on an alt/az mount, the long exposures for DSO imaging are best achieved with good quality eq mounts. A common recommendation for a starter eq mount is the Skywatcher HEQ5 but this in itself is double your budget before you even start at looking at scopes to mount on it (130PDS or ED80). 

It is possible to do DSO imaging more cheaply. There are no eq and eq3 challenge threads in the Getting started with imaging forum. Have a look through those and look at the results that people are managing to get and with what scope/mount combinations. These may or may not be of the quality that you aspire to. If not it is better to know now and save up for better equipment than to waste money on something that can never do what you want of it. 

You should also get a copy of Making Every Photon Count and read it thoroughly several times before making any purchase. 

The most bang for your money is the skywatcher star discovery I think has aperture, tracking, GOTO and can be used manually with no power but the 150p that comes with it out of the box does not reach focus with a DSLR. So warranty is voided as soon as you hack the focuser apart but there are other means like using instead a DSLR on a mount with just a camera lens. These Alt Az mounts move by tiny up down left right movements which do not account for the Earth's rotation and is what limits the esposure lengths, though depending where in the sky you point this might vary from 15 - 60 seconds.

These are the two threads mentioned in the above post:

EQ3

No EQ

If you already have a 200p then I guess this second scope doesn't need to be for observing? So why not consider just a good mount as you will read that for imaging the mount is everything.

Edit: In your limited sky view can you see Polaris?

Thanks guys.

I would like to image DSO and planetary. 

I have Polaris in view easily. 

Using my DSLR on my unguided dob, even on 0.5 sec exposure I get star trails ? Lunar images are fine but DSO impossible. I don't mind getting even a 20/25 sec exposure but just want something to allow me to do that. 

I will check out the threads you mentioned. Thanks for your replies.

Archived