Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

USB to serial and synscan update cable as a guide cable?

Hi all hope everyone is well

so after 4 years my eq3 synscan finally lives a again, I'm wondering if the update cable I got with it paired up with my prolific chip USB to serial converter could be used as a guide cable to send the info via PhD to guide with? Using a Playstation eye webcam too? It's USB to serial then the serial part to st4 so would fit the auto guide port on my motor controller? 

thanks all

para

I doubt it would work. Also it is not a good idea to connect the mount direct to a computer without an appropriate interface (autoguider).  Another option might be to use EQmod and use the cable to connect the handset to the computer and use EQmod to pulse guide through phd.

1 hour ago, paraletic mirror said:

So would be a better idea to get say a hitecastro  guider? This would act as the the auto guider part?

Or an eqdir cable and replace the handset and run eqmod. The goto and guiding commands are then sent back to the mount using the same cable, no need for separate mount control and guiding cables.

I use the rs232 cable that came with my eq3pro Synscan.  It plugs into the bottom of the handset.    The other end connects to my laptop with a cheapo serial/USB adapter. 

I use eqmod on the on the computer and set the handset in the mount to "PC direct" mode and it seems to work fine 99% of the time.  I get the occasional glitch (mount connection appears to timeout maybe once or twice per hour) and very occasional "unstoppable slew" .  This is rare - maybe once every 3 hours while fiddling around constantly   Left alone, it has never happened   .  The unstoppable slew can be somewhat alarming and has me reaching for the power switch but eqmod emergency stop always halts it, just not as immediately as I would like.

maybe a proper eqdirect cable would be even more reliable. I don't know.

movibg on to PHD2, the setup I just described seems to work (with a qhy5L-ii camera) using the eqmod pulse guiding.   I'm new to all this guiding business so I need to properly understand how to tune PHD2 but I have been given loads of tips here.  I just need a clear night to try these ideas out...

to summarise what I had to buy:

Step 1) to get laptop control of the mount: USB-serial adapter (cheap)! Download eqmod, Stellarium and Stellarium-scope (all 3 free)

Step 2) for guiding: camera and guidescope (not cheap). Download PHD2 (free)

1 hour ago, mikey2000 said:

"PC direct" mode and it seems to work fine 99% of the time

Interesting feedback....

I also occasionally use the PC direct EQMod/CdC and the "on camera" ST-4 guiding (Lodestar). So far, touch wood, it has worked 100% for me. No issues, no drama.

Archived