SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What to do with an old DSLR?

This post is really a way for me to think aloud.

I haven't used my Canon 10D since getting a 450D, they are both modified by removing the filters.

The 10D is a lot of faff as it uses old CF cards and they have to be used with a separate reader, also it is only 10-bit and has a relatively low pixel count.

While it struggles with faint targets, it doesn't do badly on bright ones (I only recently realised I haven't yet imaged M42 with either my 130P-DS and 450D!)I'm wondering about options for making some use of it.

58ba902418084_m422017reprocess.thumb.png.9dd6364f81c1505d29061854e5bc343c.png

Despite my exaggerated opinion of my EQ3 mount, it isn't up to carrying a double imaging rig. One thought is making a basic tracking platform and using this with relatively short lenses to take long exposure widefield images - I quite like the idea of building up a set of images of all the constellations (visible from up here at 53n).

Hmm... I have got my hybrid EQ3 tripod/bresser EQ mount, perhaps if I fit it with a simple RA drive and just use it for widefield shots... watch this space.

What to do with an old DSLR?

Put it in box and send it to me :)

OK - seriously, a neighbour's has Asberger's syndrome. Currently has my 130SLT to do observing - smart wee [removed word], a real learner by all accounts and suspect  that imaging will be something he would be interested in.

Buy a fast Pro' CF to SD card adapter and use SD cards.

Tis what I do with the 400D and 7D.

Noise will be one of your KILLERS, as any ISO over 400 will show real spots.

Thus you need to master how to control this, either with low ISO or techniques for combating noise with software.

Olly mentioned one technique recently with PP curves, but there are also other software methods available. Question of spending 'nerdy' time working through all the PS CS, DXO, PSP, Nick......Yada yada.

PS, I'm more impressed not by 'here is a Hubble quality image with kit costing 10s 1000s' and I didn't do anything, but 'hey, this is what I've got, and I've done everything I know at this time to get the most out of it'.

Carry on Regardless.

Rich

3 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Didn't know you can get a CF to SD card convertor!

Look into SD to CF adapters. But look at the top end of the scale you want the best write speed;

why, because 'buffering' in continuous burst mode will be an issue if the camera can't keep up with what should happen.

Think Brrrrrr pause for reframing vs Brr-rrr-rr-r pause for coffee.

Clearly my above has no real relevance on astro', but the kit should be set for best available use.

Sandisk,

Rich

13 minutes ago, RichM63 said:

Look into SD to CF adapters. But look at the top end of the scale you want the best write speed;

why, because 'buffering' in continuous burst mode will be an issue if the camera can't keep up with what should happen.

Think Brrrrrr pause for reframing vs Brr-rrr-rr-r pause for coffee.

Clearly my above has no real relevance on astro', but the kit should be set for best available use.

Sandisk,

Rich

Cheers Rich.  I use this older DSLR at work, but as long as it's less than a few seconds to write i'll be ok. 

Archived