Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2017 observatory design and build

iapa

After a year or so watching observatory builds both current and historic, I have bitten the bullet, and started work on designing a roll of roof observatory 'pent' roof.

This is measured up to allow the CGEM DX with 200PDS to operate, although I did allow for me putting a 14" OTA on the same mount.

Optimum location in the garden for imaging precludes a deep (>2') base for a pier so have opted, for the time being, to have the mound on the tripod. The floor will be designed that it can be raised to dig a hole if deemed possible at a later date.

The area underneath where the roof will sit when opened will be a chicken coop - with suitable linings between the observatory room.

I have not yet added the base, or the roof detail yet. there is 2' allowance for the legs to be embedded in the ground to ensure stability for a solid roof, roof will be as light weight as possible - Onduline seem to make light weight corrugated roofing.

The rear and left walls are c3' from 6' boundary fence. I am considering having the elevated wall to the rear rather than left - for rain run off, the chickens may object if water runs off the roof onto them.

1st draft drawing:

ROR with Rig.jpg

11 hours ago, Uplooker said:

Have I read your drawing wrong? Why still utilising the tripod?

10 hours ago, Pan Euro said:

Ditch the tripod and dig the hole for pier. Worth it in the long run.

Keeping tripod lets me know worst case scenarion

and as I noted, 

Optimum location in the garden for imaging precludes a deep (>2') base for a pier so have opted, for the time being, to have the mount on the tripod. The floor will be designed that it can be raised to dig a hole if deemed possible at a later date.

there are utilities running right under where I want to be.

Was looking something like this a while back. A recent thread prompted me to reinvestigate.

pillar.jpg

• The door faces WSW, in that direction as a nice bright LED street light so, having the higher edge on that side makes some sense. 
  • Roof lower edge to the north will allow water to drip in when opening
  • to the south, will drip on the proposed chicken coop.
  • to the west will drip on me as I go in and out.
  • the roof is angled to allow OTA edge to be at maximum height without hitting the roof - just in case if is tracking and the roof is on :). Considering some sort of interlock so that if the roof is closed there is no power to the mount.
  • flooring not shown but will have a 1" gap around the brick pillar
  • the 1" gap will be insulated.
  • the top of the single slab will be 2" below the lower par of the floor.

Updated ROR model, and location in property.

Proposed Observatory.jpg

20170218 layout.jpg

The area underneath where the roof will sit when opened will be a chicken coop

I'm going in the opposite direction.  There was a chicken coop and run where I'm getting ready to build my obsy.

there are utilities running right under where I want to be

We have a fancy septic tank which discharges into a stream at the far end of the garden - sadly, I have no idea where the pipes run but I'm willing to bet money I will find one when I start digging.

2 hours ago, MikeP said:

I'm going in the opposite direction.  There was a chicken coop and run where I'm getting ready to build my obsy.

We have a fancy septic tank which discharges into a stream at the far end of the garden - sadly, I have no idea where the pipes run but I'm willing to bet money I will find one when I start digging.

we had chickens before, for about 5yrs, but the coops were too low over the years, and causing back pain when clearing out.

I used to be good with the bent fence wire and finding metals when I was younger - considering trying this again over known utilities to see if I can work out where the run though my property - yes weirdo stuff, nod not for further discussion here as most definitely 'off topic' LOL

I seriously considered hiring a cable detector from HSS when I buried my obsy power cable last year. The trench was 600mm deep and I was convinced I was going to find a drain pipe or power cable. In the end I just took things at a sensible pace - no wild swings of the pick axe, cleared the depth with a spade first (trenching tool).  Really satisfying when it was all done but hard work too.

Jim

my daughter has just confirmed that the 5 slab + brick pillar is going tube stable for eat CGEM DX.

AND that a good resin can be used instead of mortar.

Expect to be able to start in the next few weeks - got some raised beds to move first :)

Archived