Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

5"/6" refractor suggestions please

On 03/03/2017 at 13:33, Moonshane said:

A used 120mm Skywatcher ED

...is your only hope.

When people wax lyrical about the wonders of refractors they are talking about expensive ones. I could tell you haow good a Tak FSQ is for imaging, or a TEC140 for visual. But on a budget, for visual or imaging, I'd go for a Newt.

Olly

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

...is your only hope.

When people wax lyrical about the wonders of refractors they are talking about expensive ones. I could tell you haow good a Tak FSQ is for imaging, or a TEC140 for visual. But on a budget, for visual or imaging, I'd go for a Newt.

Olly

Thanks, Olly.  I shall be taking my time and searching the small ads but I just feel that before my eyes go completely, my grey matter turns to irredeemable sponge and the pension fund collapses under the strain I should spend some time with a refractor of some kind.  I got the 150p-ds, used,  as a gift and I haven't had a chance to take it outside in southern England yet but it will be spending the summer months in France so I hope to do have a go at some imaging then.

Peter

To all those still following this topic and have recommended the ED120 are we all agreed this would be the best buy for refractor visiual, please?

http://www.skywatcher.com/product/bk-120ed-otaw/

There seems to be little point in spending £600 on something that I will find ultimately lacking if by squeezing the plastic a bit harder, or putting off the purchase either until something second hand turns up (or after a couple of extra months hard saving) I can relax about the, (rather considerable), extra expense of buying new and know I've got something for life.  Consensus seems to centre on this 'scope.

Thanks to all who have taken the trouble to reply.

That's the scope. They do come up used though on a fairly regular basis - shipping is something to consider though if course if buying used form e.g. the UK, some will and some won't shop overseas. In terms of a mount, I have used mine on a giro iii and an eq5 and both handle it well on the steel tripod.

As above.

You could always put up a wanted advert if you were impatient. I have found that used ED120's tend to be like buses, you wait forever for one and then several come at once. Plus you can almost guarantee if you were to buy new at £1100 within a couple weeks one will come up used. With the ED120 usually going 2nd hand for around £600 - £750 there is plenty of incentive to hold out for one.

A good choice, if buying used you are more likely to buy from a well respected individual rather than a newbie, as these are fairly top drawer fracs, a black diamond version should set you back no more than £650, my only regret in getting mine is my constant poor weather that stops me using it

On 3/3/2017 at 10:52, Relpet said:

Thanks, Peter,

For AP it would seem that the 6" SW 150p-ds I have already will take me to the limit of any ambitions I might have in that field.  It is on a weaker mount at present so should benefit from the AVX.  Having read so much about the observation quality of a refractor being so much brighter, crisper, revealing and generally superior to reflected observations it seemed the way to go.  Even with my 8" Dob under clear French skies I have yet to see the GRS on Jupiter, the snow caps on Mars or a clear view of the Cassini division of Saturn.

If I am mistaken in expecting better observing then perhaps I'll save the money; otherwise I should maybe amend my enquiry to concentrate on the best value for observing only with an achro.

Just coming back to your viewing experience with the 8" Dob - All the planetary objects you mention are easy to see in my 8" Dob from our not so good UK skies - assuming your scope is well cooled and collimated and the planets are due south when observing you should have no issues.

1 hour ago, dweller25 said:

Just coming back to your viewing experience with the 8" Dob - All the planetary objects you mention are easy to see in my 8" Dob from our not so good UK skies - assuming your scope is well cooled and collimated and the planets are due south when observing you should have no issues.

Agreed. I managed to get good views of these planetary features, when the host planets were suitably placed, with an 8" F/6 Skywatcher dobsonian even from less than ideal back garden, semi-urban UK skies.

Neil English, a well known refractor fan, has been rather smitten by the performance that he is now getting from an 8" dobsonian on the planets and double stars.

Archived