NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Not in the mood... :/

furrysocks2

35 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

What is squint shed please ? does it depend upon plum-bobs not being true !

The two walls against which I've put the shed (left and back) are not at right angles. I wanted the front of the shed parallel with the line of the patio, which is not parallel with the back wall, yet I wanted the right hand side square to the back wall (the only right-angle). The left wall is shorter than the shed, and not quite parallel with the left hand side of the shed due to it not being vertical, so I had to build out the left hand side to clad over the top of it. The front-left and back-right corner posts are against walls which are not vertical, so had to taper them too.

Blah, blah... made to measure, custom fit, pain in the ****, but beautiful and quite an achievement for me. :icon_biggrin:

My long level is also off, I discovered.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suppose, once you "have" stuff, it can be a bit of an anti-climax?
Telescope, Observatory, Dream Job, Home, Girl/Boyfriend, Spouse.
Put all those hours into building stuff -- And the think "Meh"? :p

At this point I'm supposed to come up with something profound
and Enlightened! Ooops -- Sorry about that folks... [teasing]  :D

We're all HERE for you though! Just as in The Lone Groover. lol

Lone-Groover.jpg.078ef3fb21fe08f199f9f460463acbec.jpg

Just reminded - All these "Internet Meme" thingies are not NEW! ;)

Zut Alors... 

6 minutes ago, Macavity said:

I suppose, once you "have" stuff, it can be a bit of an anti-climax?
Telescope, Observatory, Dream Job, Home, Girl/Boyfriend, Spouse.

What an intriguing list order - there must be hours of psychoanalysis in there somewhere!!

3 hours ago, AKB said:

This one is for putting the removable one on to when you've taken it from it's usual place.

This is the sort of knowledge that should be documented.

By the manufacturers. The little things they dont tell us - such as what all the little grub screws do on your mount.

Now, if I take the dust over from the 8'newt,and stick on the SCT - I will have a 50mm 2030mm fl OTA. f40 :) 10hr exposures should do the trick :angel4:

2 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

Thank you :) , I was wondering why SCTs didnt have little windows in their lens caps  :icon_biggrin:

tongue in cheek - someone will pop up and say they have done this and produce Hubble quality images to back it up.

I fancy getting the ST102, barlow and a webcam on the moon later - good opportunity to see if I can use the flip mirror and still focus. If I don't leave it too long I can do it from the garage door so don't have to drag too much kit too far, and it might not have clouded over.

I'm almost in the mood...

1 hour ago, JOC said:

furrysocks2 - lucky you - it chucking it down with rain here just about as hard as it comes - I've just been feeding the sheep in it!

I don't envy you that. I've got family with hill farms - a hardy breed.

I've got a mosaic to process - just about done with 3000 frames on a small section. Scope's away.

6 minutes ago, furrysocks2 said:

I don't envy you that. I've got family with hill farms - a hardy breed.

Hat's off to them, I'm not in that league, but on our smallholding we go and check on our small flock night and morning.  A photographic mosaic sounds an interesting process.

Just now, JOC said:

Hat's off to them, I'm not in that league, but on our smallholding we go and check on our small flock night and morning.  A photographic mosaic sounds an interesting process.

It was entertaining the process that got me motivated tonight - it'll be a first for me.

I followed the link.  I like that, so much detail.  I really must get into some of this picture taking.  I got enough kit to play with things and to see what is possible, but I'm just contunually hampered by the weather and time.  So what's you next lunar target?  Much closer and I think footprints might materialise!!  LOL

1 minute ago, JOC said:

I followed the link.  I like that, so much detail.  I really must get into some of this picture taking.  I got enough kit to play with things and to see what is possible, but I'm just contunually hampered by the weather and time.  So what's you next lunar target?  Much closer and I think footprints might materialise!!  LOL

Nothing in particular, I like pointing the scope at the moon and snapping whatever I like the look of.

This was the first time imaging the moon through the ST102, I normally use my 8.5" f/7.6 reflector. I'm after a new camera, but not sure what. I struggle to focus on the reflector with the barlow, so I may build a remote focuser. I've drive motors on the ST102 but not hooked up yet, and considering building an equatorial platform for the newt.

So more of the same I guess, just seeing how I can tweak my kit and processing techniques for incremental improvements.

I believe they call it "Clear Sky Guilt" - when you've waited weeks for that perfect dark moonless sky, and when it finally arrives - you can't be bothered.

The following night, when it's cloudy, I set everything up and then tear it down again, just for the practice.

It gets it out of my system :-)

John

Archived