Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NPB vs Lumi UHC

jetstream

A brief 2 hour spell of real clarity had me running to get the scope, a 200mm f3.8 tonight. 21.6 mag/vg trans were the conditions.

A while back I purchased a 1.25" DGM NPB filter as a gift for my grand daughter but I needed to check its performance before giving it to her. Tonight 2, 25mm TV plossls were enlisted to compare the Lumi UHC to the NPB. I used 2 brighter showcase nebula to try first, NGC 2174 and the Rosette in Gemini. Both filters excelled on these objects with structure showing in the Rosette very well and The Monkey Head showed its "notch" for lack of a better word, the Lumi could be just ahead on this one.(NGC 2174)

Up in Auriga a different leader emerged...the NPB excelled on both the Flaming Star and in particular on IC410, besting the Lumi. One little neb that I like is the "Owl" and using the NPB with a 12.5mm widefield I pulled the eyes out of the Owl :grin:

On to the show case M42...Both worked extremely well but the NPB pulled ahead on M43 and also the Running Man neb, both filters showed the lower loop under M42. I feel that the NPB is at least the equal to my UHC which is high praise indeed and perhaps it is better.

I can now wrap the NPB up and deliver this birthday present (belated) to my 8 yr old grand daughter.:thumbsup:

ps I have a feeling her Heritage 130P dob will be giving some pretty good reports...:icon_biggrin:

Cheers Gerry

I have been pondering this same choice for a while. I tend to use the uhc type mainly on M42 and environs and based on you comments I think I will go for the NPB in 1.25" , along with a Hb Lumi 1.25" and Oiii 2" if I can find one.

Very interesting report Gerry !

I've had the DGM NBP for a while now and really like it. I've not tried other premum UHC-types though. My previous UHC's have been mid range ones such as the Orion Ultrablock and the Telescope Services (TS) UHC. Interesting that the NBP stands up well to the Lumicon UHC overall. I love the Lumi O-III and have recently picked up an Astronomik H-Beta to have another crack at the Horsehead sometime (glutton for punishment on this one, I am :rolleyes2:).

4 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Thanks Gerry that is a very useful report.

I guess you will buying 130P and a NPB for yourself :happy11:

:icon_biggrin:

The thought has crossed my mind Mark, so far that little scope has more than impressed me. You know, the Heritage 130P has left me scratching my head after viewing the moon thinking how can this scope give views this good?lol!

Best of all it sits on her dresser with her little Pelican case - a special place she calls it.

4 hours ago, John said:

Very interesting report Gerry !

I've had the DGM NBP for a while now and really like it. I've not tried other premum UHC-types though. My previous UHC's have been mid range ones such as the Orion Ultrablock and the Telescope Services (TS) UHC. Interesting that the NBP stands up well to the Lumicon UHC overall. I love the Lumi O-III and have recently picked up an Astronomik H-Beta to have another crack at the Horsehead sometime (glutton for punishment on this one, I am :rolleyes2:).

You will see this empty spot out of IC434 John, I bet that you have already seen it. The 1.25" Astronomik is a great performer and will be a good asset to have along with a nice narrow 25mm TV plossl or the like. Like you I have spent many hours (years) searching for this underwhelming object but once seen I wondered how I missed it .

I am really impressed with the NPB John, it is a high contrast filter and Dan McShane was great to deal with.

Then there's the Cone :icon_biggrin:

Archived