SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ES 24mm 82° or Panoptic 24mm at f4?

Paul73

Hi Folks

I have a dilema. I have a 16" f4 Dob and an SW ED120 f7.5 (incoming from some dubious chap who lurks on this forum).

In the Dob I am perfectly happy with a bevy of Delos 72° without a Paracorr. But, find the coma correction essential when using a 20mm 100° eyepiece (now departed). I need a nice wide low mag view. The ES 82° was a top performer at f4.7 with no need for a Paracorr. Would I need a Paracorr at f4? If so, would a naked Panoptic 24mm be a more pleasing option?

I've never looked through a Panoptic, but they do have an excellent reputation.

Thoughts?

Paul

The Panoptic shows you less off axis field than the other two so the coma should be less apparent too. It will still be there to some degree though, at F/4.

I have a 24mm Pan to top off my 1.25" set and I love it. There are other less expensive options of course (felt I ought to add that !) but F/4 is going to challenge even the best.

My fastest scope is F/5.3 so not as challenging.

Panoptic 24 is a very special eyepiece. If you get one, you won't regret it. It never fails to impress me with its ability to reveal fine detail at low magnification. It splits tight doubles. It shows fine detail on the sun.

should you go on to get a 2nd then you would have the best possible binoviewer combination.

take up the offer of borrowing one, only your wallet will regret it!

When I get my f3.6, I can test it without the paracorr and let you know if there is any coma...

Alan

Alan 

There should be something in the CoC about using the word "binoviewer" in expensive eyepiece threads....?

I have very little self control around nice Astro gear. 

f3.6 ! Would this be a big incoming scope?

Paul

When I purchased my Tak 76, I also purchased 3 Televue plossls to go with it. A fellow member of Norwich Astro showed me the view thru her 24 Panoptic and that was it. Superb eyepiece, worth every penny of the cost. Not seen an ES 24, but that TV 24 is a keeper, the views are magnificent. 

Chris

I think the pan24 is also the best in the panoptic line, so that makes the battle even harder for the ES. I have a pair of pan19 too, I often feel that I should put the 24s back in as I "feel" the view is not always as good in the 19s.

Never used an ES, but FLO website says "good down to f5" so that would bother me coming in at f3.6!

i have a 20" dob with 1/10 wave mirrors on order, mirrors went off for coatings a week ago, so I have fingers crossed I may receive it in another month or soon after. Focal length estimated at around 1770mm.

as said above, you should not need paracorr2 at f4 unless ultrawide eyepieces are being used. Would be interesting to know if the ethos also failed with coma at f4??

i already have a paracorr2 (which pushes focal length and scope speed out by x1.15 making my f3.6 into an f4 scope) into which my main cyclops eyepieces will be ethos 21 & 13. Not expecting any coma issues from what I've read but

I'll let you know how I get on ...

47 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

Thanks Derek. That would be champion!!

Paul

I'll stick it in the ali case. There is little chance of me seriously needing it anytime soon given the weather up here so you are very welcome to try it :smile:

Good luck with the new scope. Looking forward to reading the first light report.

I didn't know about the ES 82° being ok to f5.

The Ethos 21mm was just about OK uncorrected in my little f4.7 Dob. In fact the views were outrageous. ??. I would be surprised if any long 100° eyepiece could live uncorrected at f4. Let alone f3.6! The Paracorr 2 should sort out the coma a treat.

There will be plenty of big Dobs and Exotic glass at Nick's DIY Peak District bash at the end of March. If the sky plays ball we can compare coma.

Paul

25 minutes ago, Paul73 said:

The Ethos 21mm was just about OK uncorrected in my little f4.7 Dob. In fact the views were outrageous. ??. I would be surprised if any long 100° eyepiece could live uncorrected at f4. Let alone f3.6! The Paracorr 2 should sort out the coma a treat.

My OO Uk 12" F4 definitely needs the Paracorr with the E21. It will be at TDIYPSP in March so anyone there is welcome to try it out.

Archived