Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC 6946

Sam

I took this last night - my first autoguided image of something (rather than just a random part of the sky). This is 14 X 300secs guided at iso 800, stacked in DSS and post processed in GIMP.

7733_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I am quite pleased how much came out given the moon was out in force last night. I do very much like the yellowy red star just above the galaxy.

Sam

Yes, well done there, nice detail and colour in the 'fireworks galaxy' especially considering the moonlight (I can see where you had to raise the black point quite a bit). Will you get a chance to try it in a darker setting perhaps?

I've wondered about that very red star myself, since I had a go at 6946 two years ago: although my processing brought out the galaxy more bluish than yours, the same star shows up red as a beet on mine as well! CdC identifies it as TYC4246-01005-1 (mag. 10), colour index 4.39, which must make it one of the reddest stars around, if CdC is accurate!

Thanks Pete and Kurt, I'm hoping to give it another try when the moon is not washing the sky out. I have to take a few more subs as well - I reckon a couple of hours of 5 minutes subs should do the trick. :hello2:

Archived