NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help locating faint objects

Hey all!

I was out last night and got some brilliant views of Jupiter&4moons, but when I started thinking about locating some more obscure objects I hit a problem.

My little 'aiming scope' is waaaay off, and also very hard to focus. Are there any simple rules that can guide me from star to star? Is it worth getting some piece of equipment that would tell me my elevation/compass bearing?

I haven't got any kinda Go-to system, but I'm pretty nimble with manually tracking objects...and I really want to find my first nebulae and galaxy!

You need stepping stones to faint objects, and the book Turn Left at Orion will provide them for you. It is a popular choice for finding objects. What you will be able to see depends a great deal on your size of scope objective, be it mirror or lens..

Ron.

Hi Phil. I'd Echo the recommendation to Purchase Turn Left At Orion.

Not only does it give you step by step guide to locating, it also provides negative images of what to expect.

I bought my copy 15 years a go and still refer to it :hello2:

Jarvo

What I use is Cartes de Ceil it's a freeware program.

Put your laptop on a table beside you and with the screen turned to red.

Enter the object you want to view and select the nearest bright star and if you have a telrad or similar turn on the cirle projection in the program and centre on that star.

look through your telrad and look for a bright star on the edge of the tellrads 5 degree circle. Then by looking at the computer and telrad you should be able to star hop to your required destination.

It sounds a lot harder then it really is.

I'm currently sourcing a copy of Turn Left, I've also got stellarium which I've found very useful!

I don't have a sophisticated scope by any means, but hopefully once the moons calmed down a bit I'll be able to star hop!

Thanks for all the help with this, I can't wait for the moon to calm down a bit so I can have a proper look around!

Archived