First acceptable pic from Oz travels

No contributions from me of late because I am  visiting family in Melbourne and decided not to buy a star adventurer or anything and see how using lenses on my modded 100D comes out. I regret not bringing a decent laptop. I am using an old slow netbook and have downloaded DSS and GIMP and it really struggles! It took two and a half hours to stack this image. The skys seems much better than at home, even though I am staying on the outskirts of Melbourne. This image was taken in the garden, less than 5 or so yards from the Napean Highway, A six lane highway with lighting and traffic lights etc.

This image is, I believe, centred on the Carina Nebula. it was 65 X 10 sec subs, F4, iso 3200, 50mm 1.8 lens, 20 Bias and 20 Darks. Processed with difficulty in Gimp. I am really missing PS :hmh:.

Carina.jpg

Not quite sure what happened bottom right... but you should have seen the first effort :laughing4:

Very nice result for 10 sec subs, you've got the running chicken neb,  wishing well cluster and the southern Pleiades too.  Not sure what that cluster is upper left though??  Look forward to seeing the finished version once you're back home with PS.

12 hours ago, Mick J said:

Nice and thanks, what are the temperatures you have to put up with at night Tim, need to keep a cold drink handy ?

26C when i took this.... the 'cold drinks' help with providing courage to face up to the various garden creatures!

Where near Melbourne are you?  For how long are you out there?

I'm flying to Melbourne next week and am hoping to do some imaging - just wondering how I get 30kg of gear there!

I will be meeting up with the Mornington Peninsula Astronomical Society who have an observatory near Mount Eliza.

I have gone to Sydney for a few days. I am staying with daughter in brighton east and am here with family for a couple of months. I'll pm you... a trip tp to Mount Eliza sounds appealing. Shame i came here with nothing more than an amazon basics tripod, dslr and two lenses :iamwithstupid:

Archived