Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Your most expensive mistake in astronomy

westmarch

3 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Nice one Paul - I have enjoyed a bit of solar and am considering taking it further.  After a better focuser, after a Dob, and so on....

And I'm going to an astro shop this weekend.  Heaven knows what I'll come away with!

Doug.

I assume the better focuser is for the 8SE?. Cant argue with you on that one (but not essential). A dob is a luxury, not a must have. Spring and Summer are just around the corner. A Hershel wedge will allow you to get outside on a nice warm sunny day and see some lovely sun spots and surface granulation. 

I'd much prefer a wedge over a focuser or Dob. Always time in the future for those luxuries.

I'm just saying.

:happy11:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I assume the better focuser is for the 8SE?. Cant argue with you on that one (but not essential). A dob is a luxury, not a must have. Spring and Summer are just around the corner. A Hershel wedge will allow you to get outside on a nice warm sunny day and see some lovely sun spots and surface granulation. 

I'd much prefer a wedge over a focuser or Dob. Always time in the future for those luxuries.

I'm just saying.

:happy11:

No - the focuser is for the ST120 - it's a bit slack and jerky, but I love it for the wide angle views.  I've seen good sunspot detail, but would like to see more than that.  Spending on this hobby has no bounds.

Thanks for your suggestions, Paul!

Apologies to all if we've taken this a bit off-thread.

Doug.

Buying a 6" Newtonian on an eq-3, installing ra and Dec motors, then buying a bigger scope. Then needed to buy an eq5 as needed more stable mount. Then buying an even bigger scope and needing a heq5. Then getting into AP and needing a eq6....I should have gone straight for the eq6 in the first place instead of wasting lots in the meantime.

Also biggest mistake...selling my 180 mak...I loved the views of Jupiter through that...I should never of sold it to fund a cpc1100 that destroyed my back lifting it to the garden.

ps this is my first post in SGL...its been a wealth of information for me over the years but have finally joined ?

2 hours ago, cloudsweeper said:

No - the focuser is for the ST120 - it's a bit slack and jerky, but I love it for the wide angle views.  I've seen good sunspot detail, but would like to see more than that.  Spending on this hobby has no bounds.

Thanks for your suggestions, Paul!

Apologies to all if we've taken this a bit off-thread.

Doug.

Honestly, the most expensive mistake you can make in astronomy is not buying something which allows you to observe the Sun. It is a bona fida star which is right there on our doorstep. In the grand scheme of stars........it is very insignificant, but it is ours.

Its our "parent". Without it, none of us would be here.

Archived