NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astrophotography

Leann

The best thing you can do is to go along to the FLO website, book section and make a purchase of 'Making Every Photon Count' - Something of an imagers bible, read it once, twice and thrice and then think abut what you need and why..... and if you know then you can start to spend your pennies and if not then read it again!! I know that sounds a little flippant, but really it's a great read and will save you a small fortune in mistakes by getting it right from the start.

I know that this may sound odd, but it's all about the mount... mount .... and mount ...... get that right and you'll be enjoying AP in no time. Get it wrong and you will meet with frustration. Have a look on the imaging forum, most people put down what they use to get their images, this is a good place to start..... get a feel for the quality you can expect from certain kit 

Lastly be realistic........ there's some great imagers on the forum and they have invested many £'s and many hours in their images........ What do you want to achieve and do you have the stomach to get there? If not, then aim a little differently :)

Hope that all makes sense :)

Whilst waiting for the book you can start right now. I'll add a link later but you could use your camera and the kit lens and start now learning about taking images, stacking and processing all you need is a clear sky and a warm coat to make a start.

The book recommended is really excellent. I'm just about finished reading it and whilst it is as comprehensive as it could get it remains completely accessible. 

I'm just waiting for clear skies now so I can take my first image on my new mount. 

Note I spent a lot on that mount (AZ EQ6 GT) simply because, as Sara states, the mount is key. 

When I asked about kit to get going someone said spend all the money you can on the foundations and save for the roof and walls later. 

I'll be imaging with a dslr at first with various lenses. 

Archived