Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Adventurer Mini confusion

kiloran

I'm considering purchasing the Star Adventurer Mini and so I've read the manual, a few reviews, and dug around in the smartphone app. I think I understand the principles of doing the polar alignment (if I buy it I'll get the bundle with the EQ wedge and the L bracket). I've always used my telescope in alt-az mode so have no experience with how objects track on an EQ mount. What I'm confused about is how you then point the camera at your object with the camera on the L-bracket (or using the ballhead option) without messing up the polar alignment? With the ballhead option does the tilt angle of the ballhead to the Star Adventurer matter? With the mount and the wedge inclined to the pole how do I image M42 for example - it's behind the mount in the SE?

I'm guessing these are dumb obvious questions but I'm on a steep learning curve. I come from a conventional photography background and have only been visually observing since Christmas.

Kit I have to hand (which I'd like to use initially to see if imaging is my thing) is a Nikon D700 with a bunch of prime lenses (Nikkor 35mm f/2, Noct-Nikkor 50mm f/1.2 AIS - mega fast legendary lens which I'm guessing might be handy, not least for the fact it's manual focus and sharp from f/2 up, 85mm f/1.4, and a 300mm f/4 Sigma). I realise that the D700 is pretty old but I know it pushes well to ISO3200 when shooting RAW so I'm hoping its going to be OK for stacking. Mainly interested in DSOs as I'm able to get to pretty dark skies relatively quickly. 

Thanks for replies (and reminder that it won't be able to handle the 300mm). Must also check total weight of the D700 with the 85mm (f/1.4 makes it a heavy lens)

Being new to this, what are the other options in that price range? I have all the imaging kit I need including a professional photo tripod so I just need a tracking mount. Telescope is currently on a very cheap EQ mount which I may look to upgrade at some point if this hobby takes hold. I'm enjoying the finding as much as the looking at the moment so don't really want to shortcut that with a Goto mount.

As said, you can do widefield and, with the full-size Adventurer with a long lens, you can get Nebulae, galaxy clusters and other larger objects. Many nebulae emit in Ha (Hydrogen alpha) so you would need to get your camera modded to remove the IR filter, which would prevent daylight work, or buy a second-hand camera body and have that modded. Of course you can buy a pre-modded one.

Alexxx

Archived