NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

what kind of telescope should i buy?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like you are back to imaging again :)

why not consider keeping your dob for visual and get a nice 80mm refractor for imaging.

keeping visual and imaging separate is the way I would go. You have a great scope for visual.

if you want to go imaging then a small refractor on a great mount would be the best way to go.

no scope is the master of both Imaging and visual!

compromises mean something is not as good as it can be.

have you bought the book "making every photon count" yet, it is your best first step. You will learn much more than searching the internet. There are no shortcuts to get to the right answer :) 

Alan

When telescopes are taken to extremes of design they become difficult. The Hyperstar, at around F2, is as extreme as it gets. Adverts by Celestron and Starizona will not tell you about how difficult it will be to get good results from this system. That is why such a relatively small number of imagers use them. Some do use them and some results are not bad. A very small number are good.

The worst place to read about telescopes is in telescope adverts. In the adverts they all work.

Olly

7 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

The worst place to read about telescopes is in telescope adverts. In the adverts they all work.

Olly

Yes olly. You are so right about"Advert Hype " that's why it is great we have sites like SGL where independent people can post there thoughts and views on equipment through knowledge and use.  

The issue with a scope for both imaging and visual is your eyes see in real time. They're very good that and visual dynamic range is astonishing. That said the more light you can get to your eyes quickly the better so bigger apertures rock. The bigger the opening the more light gets in. 

For imaging because you are taking exposures sometimes 10's of minutes long you've more time to 'gather' the photons so other aspects of the scope design become important and the two are not mutually compatible. 

If I were to pick two scope's that are reasonable imaging/visual scores it would be something like a Starwatcher 80ED and a short tube (750mm) focal length 6" newt. 

As others have already mentioned for imaging the mount is king. I spent a fortune on an AZ EQ6 GT because I don't want to have to worry about the mount not being up to the job as my skills increase. 

But, there are far better visualisation scope's and far better imaging scope's out there...

Read the replies you have already, the answers were already given. The cgem is the best MOUNT. For photography that is what really matters. An SCT is NOT the best for photography and 11" will show little more visually than the 10" you already have!

i am not answering the same question over and over.

you really should buy the book "making every photon count" BEFORE you waste your money!

You will be spending a lot of money for not much more than you have now. If you want to do photography then you will need to buy much more stuff too.

52 minutes ago, hubble space telescope said:

got it!

between these telescopes, what is the best telescope for visual and Astrophotography: 

CGEM II 1100 EDGEHD TELESCOPES

CGEM 1100 HD COMPUTERIZED TELESCOPE

CPC DELUXE 1100 HD COMPUTERIZED TELESCOPE

None of them if you're starting out in astrophotography except for imaging planets using a video camera.

Dave

On 22/01/2017 at 11:39, Grotemobile said:

All U need to do is use planetary align. Point the scope to a planet manually .

Switch on scope. It will then ask what alignment method  U want to use. Select

planetary align. Then select the planet U have just aligned to scope to. Aligned.

U can then do a sync on the planet if U want to. That is what do for imaging.

U can do this for a star as well. Just select one star align. Works great.

Agreed.  With GPS, alignment is no problem at all - quick and easy.  (I use planetary where possible; one-star for work in that region; two named stars otherwise.)

Just my experience, but I find that entering date and time carefully and accurately to be the worst aspects of alignment, especially if I nudge the 'scope or want to move it elsewhere.  Dealing with the stars is a doddle.

Doug.

Archived