Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help asap please

Hi, Chad,

Don't worry too much about the casing, so long as the mirrors/lenses are OK.

The ice is made worse from your breath, so try not breathing all over the scope and keep a lookout for icing on the mirrors/lenses. I use heater bands to prevent dew forming on the optics, but a hair drier every so often does the same job. Just a few seconds now and again at the optics should help keep them clear.

Yes, this will set up some air currents for a short while, but hopefully allow you to carry on with your session.

Good luck.

Gordon.

Normal earth temperatures are fine. Rapid temperature changes are bad. When you cool/warm scope, do it with caps on and try not to make it faster...

Gordon's point is a great one. It's very easy to get worried about an objective and then breath on it whilst looking! Doh! :) I've done that a few times before, and a nice clear objective clouds up instantly!

Scopes are built to be used in these conditions, they often get covered in frost in use during the winter. The only thing you need to make sure of is that they are dry before storing them otherwise you risk fungus or mould growing.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

The only thing you need to make sure of is that they are dry before storing them otherwise you risk fungus or mould growing.

I keep quite a few packets of Silica Gel with my scope and optics upon storage. This should help of any moisture lurking around when it's finally packed away :)

If you bring it inside your <heated> home, you can toss in some silica-gel packs as stated. And just leave the caps off until it air-dries. Then cap the thing.

Moisture won't harm the optics whatsoever. Just don't try drying the optics with a towel, flame-thrower, etc. :p

Have fun!

Dave

Mine was covered in ice the overnight after finishing observing at 00:30hrs. Brought it into the kitchen, and pointed the tube downwards so any condensation dripped of the front of the tube (which it did, and lots of it). I then dismantled it the next day for storage. I need to make a dew heater for my Rigel as that kept getting dew all over the angled lens. 

Archived