Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

omegon reputation

Hi. Does anyone have any experience of Omegon telescopes? Their prices are competitive but I haven't heard their name come up on this forum. I wonder if it is because they are not sold so much in the UK or that their reputation is lacking. I've been dreaming of the Skywatcher 102/500 but the Omegon 102/600 is slightly slower and has a 90 degree diagonal instead of 45, which would work better for me.

I think it's basically a branding name. There are quite a of these about and some have been around quite a while so we are used to them while others such as Omegon are relatively new although the name was used back in 2007. There is a little more about it here:

http://www.nimax.de/company/foundation/

I guess William Optics, Orion (USA), Altair Astro, Telescope Services, Astro Tech and quite a few others are similar. 

I have had dealings with astroshop.eu (the Omegon shop). Much of their stuff is simply the same as the stuff sold under a dozen other names. I have not had any bad experiences with them. I first got a Celestron Skymaster 15x70, which had some gunk in the optical path, and was not really exactly collimated. I contacted them, and they collected the faulty Celestron, and as they hadn't got a second Celestron in stock, I went for the Omegon counterpart (10 euro cheaper) which is essentially the same BA-1 type 15x70 (or more accurately 15x63 or so). They were quick in resolving the issue, and I was very happy with the Omegon 15x70 bins. Very good value for money, although they do show the same shortcomings common to all BA-1 bins, whatever brand is stamped on them.

I bought some Omegon saddle plates and was blown away by the quality and finish. Just awesome! Way nicer then the other brands like Losmandy or ADM
Of what I read about their ED apo's they use OHARA FPL-53 and S-NBM51 glass. Quite a rare combination with superb transmission. 
Can't you get to look through it before you buy? Or is there a refund policy when not sattisfied?

2 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

I bought some Omegon saddle plates and was blown away by the quality and finish. Just awesome! Way nicer then the other brands like Losmandy or ADM
Of what I read about their ED apo's they use OHARA FPL-53 and S-NBM51 glass. Quite a rare combination with superb transmission. 
Can't you get to look through it before you buy? Or is there a refund policy when not sattisfied?

Thanks. I'm still a way off from actually parting with money. It seems they are a serious company.  I'll have to buy without looking though.

56 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

.....Of what I read about their ED apo's they use OHARA FPL-53 and S-NBM51 glass. Quite a rare combination with superb transmission....

Levenhuk ED doublets use the same glass combination I believe as do quite a few of the Long Perng made ED doublets.

I assume that the Omegon item is the same as the Bresser 102/600, I have seen the Bresser under other names as well. Who Bresser sources it from no idea. Not sure of the Omegon cost, sometimes I see eyepiece with their name that are around double what they can be bought elsewhere. The Bresser is €219. Occasionally they appear on the Bresser Clearance pages at around half the cost. I know as I got one.

For Europe it is worth searching the AST Optics site, TS and Astroshop.de. Things appear on one where not on others.

As already said they seem to be a rebranded series of items that carry the Omegon name/brand.

Archived