NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The ISS with Tim Peake on board - Short video from my garden

Tim

Just uploaded a clip from a video I took last year as Tim Peake on board the ISS passed high over the UK.

Thought some of you might like to see it.  The jumpiness is the atmosphere.....yep, typical UK seeing :p

12 minutes ago, DRT said:

Excellent capture, Tim.

What equipment did you use?

C11 Edge, DMK 21 and GM1000 mount.  The mount does the magic Derek, it has the lastest telemetry uploaded for the ISS, then sits and waits pointing at the horizon waiting for it to start its pass. It will then track it to just past the meridian, do a flip, and continue the other side. It is quite something to see :) I have a video of it doing it's stuff somewhere.

One time the mount was a little bit out and didn't centre on the ISS as it normally does. That was odd. But it turned out that there had been a leak on one of the vehicles attached to it that had slightly altered the trajectory.

Getting the exposure right is tricky. Parts of the structure are so bright, while the solar panels are quite dim, and the dynamic range on the camera is a bit limited, not to mention you only have a few seconds to get it right.

Somewhere I have got some footage before and after they inflated the air pod thingy on the side.

Stacking the video is quite tricky and something i struggle with. The ISS rotates, or appears to as it passes over, so very few useable frames are actually stackable together as the shape has changed.

Archived