NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

IC446 to start the year...

ollypenrice

For a change, a simple capture to start us off for the year! Just two nights, 5 hours Lum on the first and 2 hours per colour on the second. Lovely transparent sky and incredibly good seeing, which we've been enjoying most nights in the last couple of months. I normally get a FWHM of about 1.5 when focusing the TEC but it has been going below 1 of late. This was Tom's suggestion and was a pleasure to process.

The large cyan nebula is IC447, the one connected to it by a dusty tail is IC446 and the two smaller blue reflection nebulae are NGC2245 and 2246. The complex lies west of the Cone Nebula and can be seen in the upper left of this camera lens image.

CONE%20ROSETTE%20HARGB%20provisionalWEB-

IC%20447%2011%20HRS%20LRGB%20WEB-L.jpg

A closer look at the main nebulae. Click on the image and the full size button is lower left:

IC%20447%2011%20HRS%20LRGB%20crop%20WEB.

Hope eveyone has a good imaging year!

Olly

6 minutes ago, johnrt said:

It's a new one on me too! Great work Olly.

Yes, I have to say that I wasn't convinced that it would be all that rewarding when Tom suggested it, but I should have faith in his judgement. His last two suggestions have been inspired. I'm going to make him targetmeister  for 2017 on the proviso that no mosaics exceed four panels!

Olly

52 minutes ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Great presentation of this subject, revealing the detail in stages - terrific.

A quite beautiful blue reflection nebula that is going on my to-do list.  Hat's off!

Thanks Barry. Glad you like it. Right up your street, I think.

Olly

It's a beauty Olly. I have this is a four pane widefield of this area from 2011. I ve been wanting for a closer look for many a Winter. Hats off for braving the cold and working on this each night. 

I love the Purples and Cyans in the sky so this was an easy one that had to go on the list  if I m being shackled with a max of a four pane mosaic, I ll have to make my next suggestion a wise one :) 

Surely we can name it "The Blue Whale" nebula.  

Time to fool about in PS with this and the breaking wave nebula ha ha. 

Tom. 

Ha ha... I just posted a similar widefield skyscape on the Widefield forum. You have captured a much deeper image but with the weather here being as it is, I am grateful to get anything at all! A lovely series of images and lovely to zoom in, as it were, on IC 447.

Archived