Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Choosing a new scope?

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice for a new scope and just wondering what would be the better choice to plug a gap in my present line up. I already have an 80mm Equinox refractor for grab and go, a 100mm SW ED pro for solar and planetary and lunar, and the SCT 9.25 for the rare evenings when I am out most of the evening. Only doing visual. I use the refractors on a Sabre AZ push to and Berlebach UNI18 so looking for a scope in the 5-6 inch category to use on this set up as well. As you can see there is this gap between 4 inch and 9.25  

Not looking to put 8 inch scope on the Sabre as I want to hit the middle ground for portability. My interest are most things in the night sky, I like planetary and lunar but also like DSO and globs, so the scope needs to be a good all rounder. So the 80mm refractor for the wide field objects on one side of the Sabre and something in the 5 to 6 inch category on the other to complement the 80. I have looked at the Equinox120 and the OO VX6L and wondering how the 5 inch frac would compare to the 6 inch OO the latter is currently being offered with a free upgrade to 1/10 PV and of course is about 1/3 of the price. I have often heard that the long F reflectors are Apo killers but is there really any truth in this? I don't know anyone with a long F reflector so have never had the chance to use one. My EPs are BST 8, 12, 18 and 25 plus a SW28 2 inch EP and a Celestron 40mm. I also have a ES 6.7mm in the box as well. If anyone has ever compared these scopes like for like I would love to hear your thoughts, or maybe able to compare something similar, or other suggestions.

So far my understanding is in favour of  OO VX6L would be more aperture, better build quality over Synta reflectors especially focuser, top class mirrors, lighter than the frac and comfy position for viewing. The 120 Equinox though gets glowing reviews and I already know how nice these scopes are so would put up with the extra weight and more awkward viewing position. What I really need to know is which one would perform the best in terms of colour, contrast and detail. Over to the experts!

howdo, 

You already have some very nice scopes to hand, if you chose the 120 frac i would go with the Evostar pro 120 (i pick mine up in a few hours) i feel the Evo 120ED is more "the classic" scope and would leave some cash in case you felt the need for a moonlite focuser transplant, 

If you go with the OO you will have problems, they will give you a delivery date and if they get it to you any thing close to that date we will all be in a state of shock

If you are keen to try the long newt i would get the Synta, see how you like the long scope, if you feel committed to the configuration maybe order the OO and sell the synta for close on what you paid for it

7 hours ago, JG777 said:

Hi all,

Looking for a bit of advice for a new scope and just wondering what would be the better choice to plug a gap in my present line up. I already have an 80mm Equinox refractor for grab and go, a 100mm SW ED pro for solar and planetary and lunar, and the SCT 9.25 for the rare evenings when I am out most of the evening. Only doing visual. I use the refractors on a Sabre AZ push to and Berlebach UNI18 so looking for a scope in the 5-6 inch category to use on this set up as well. As you can see there is this gap between 4 inch and 9.25  

Not looking to put 8 inch scope on the Sabre as I want to hit the middle ground for portability. My interest are most things in the night sky, I like planetary and lunar but also like DSO and globs, so the scope needs to be a good all rounder. So the 80mm refractor for the wide field objects on one side of the Sabre and something in the 5 to 6 inch category on the other to complement the 80. I have looked at the Equinox120 and the OO VX6L and wondering how the 5 inch frac would compare to the 6 inch OO the latter is currently being offered with a free upgrade to 1/10 PV and of course is about 1/3 of the price. I have often heard that the long F reflectors are Apo killers but is there really any truth in this? I don't know anyone with a long F reflector so have never had the chance to use one. My EPs are BST 8, 12, 18 and 25 plus a SW28 2 inch EP and a Celestron 40mm. I also have a ES 6.7mm in the box as well. If anyone has ever compared these scopes like for like I would love to hear your thoughts, or maybe able to compare something similar, or other suggestions.

So far my understanding is in favour of  OO VX6L would be more aperture, better build quality over Synta reflectors especially focuser, top class mirrors, lighter than the frac and comfy position for viewing. The 120 Equinox though gets glowing reviews and I already know how nice these scopes are so would put up with the extra weight and more awkward viewing position. What I really need to know is which one would perform the best in terms of colour, contrast and detail. Over to the experts!

Hi John.

If you're looking for a good all rounder, then the SW 120ED Pro is the one to go for. It will give you superb lunar and planetary views, will work at optimum in 20 minutes or less and will be able to deliver the beautiful rich star fields. The OO can't do that! You mentioned the Equinox 120ED, which is a great scope, but remember the Pro uses the same optics, includes finder and is significantly cheaper. Also, you said that "OO has better build quality than Synta", well in my experience that's not true. Synta are rugged and very well made whereas every OO Newtonian I've ever seen has had a very cheap thin tube that can be flexed and damaged easily.  Personally id go for the SW 120ED Pro, and as its cheaper than the Equinox version id also consider a SW 150 F8 Newtonian as they are as cheap as chips to buy and are excellent. You'd probably find that your 100ED would be used less once you had a 120ED and could consider selling it. Other than pure light grasp I'd back the SW 120ED  Pro against any 10" reflector for lunar and planetary. And other than light grasp the 120ED's super sharp optics will deliver high contrast, high definition views of brighter DSO's too. 

Obviously we all come at this hobby from slightly different angles, and for me sharpness of image and high contrast, high definition optics are of far greater value in practice than aperture and theoretical resolution. Think Quality! :icon_biggrin:

Mike

12 hours ago, SonnyE said:

Well, heck if I know, John.

I'd love to have a RASA and a Sony a7S x, xx, xxx. But not likely to happen.

But I'm thinking you need something in the 6" range, just to scratch that itch you are having. :D

Ha ha yes, so much kit to want! Thanks for the link but any frac would have to be an Apo, been spoilt by the other two!

4 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi John.

If you're looking for a good all rounder, then the SW 120ED Pro is the one to go for. It will give you superb lunar and planetary views, will work at optimum in 20 minutes or less and will be able to deliver the beautiful rich star fields. The OO can't do that! You mentioned the Equinox 120ED, which is a great scope, but remember the Pro uses the same optics, includes finder and is significantly cheaper. Also, you said that "OO has better build quality than Synta", well in my experience that's not true. Synta are rugged and very well made whereas every OO Newtonian I've ever seen has had a very cheap thin tube that can be flexed and damaged easily.  Personally id go for the SW 120ED Pro, and as its cheaper than the Equinox version id also consider a SW 150 F8 Newtonian as they are as cheap as chips to buy and are excellent. You'd probably find that your 100ED would be used less once you had a 120ED and could consider selling it. Other than pure light grasp I'd back the SW 120ED  Pro against any 10" reflector for lunar and planetary. And other than light grasp the 120ED's super sharp optics will deliver high contrast, high definition views of brighter DSO's too. 

Obviously we all come at this hobby from slightly different angles, and for me sharpness of image and high contrast, high definition optics are of far greater value in practice than aperture and theoretical resolution. Think Quality! :icon_biggrin:

Mike

Thanks Mike, a useful insight. Yes like you thinking quality and your post has made me see the sense to favour the Pro over the Equinox for the practical reasons you mention, but the quality factor is why I looked at the OO. Seems to be conflicting reports about OO quality but I was assuming it "should" be better than SW equivalent in terms of optics, fit and finish even if the extra money seems too much for a smaller gain. I guess any 150 reflector might struggle against a SW 120ED but I was just trying to gauge how much difference there might be in terms of the viewing experience if both scopes come off the production line in excellent order.

Also wondering now if the Moonlite on my 100ED pro would fit the 120 ED pro and then put the 120 stock focuser on the 100 ED, I emailed FLO to ask but they are deservedly on holiday until next year.

Whew I need a pint.....

56 minutes ago, JG777 said:

Thanks Mike, a useful insight. Yes like you thinking quality and your post has made me see the sense to favour the Pro over the Equinox for the practical reasons you mention, but the quality factor is why I looked at the OO. Seems to be conflicting reports about OO quality but I was assuming it "should" be better than SW equivalent in terms of optics, fit and finish even if the extra money seems too much for a smaller gain. I guess any 150 reflector might struggle against a SW 120ED but I was just trying to gauge how much difference there might be in terms of the viewing experience if both scopes come off the production line in excellent order.

Also wondering now if the Moonlite on my 100ED pro would fit the 120 ED pro and then put the 120 stock focuser on the 100 ED, I emailed FLO to ask but they are deservedly on holiday until next year.

Whew I need a pint.....

I'm almost certain your moonlight will fit the 120. I seem to remember outs the same focuser on the 100 and 120, but the 120 has a cast aluminium back that the focuser screws onto. 

It isn't that the 6" OO won't give great views, its just not as versatile and has limited field. I've seen many larger Newts take a back seat when placed alongside a SW120ED no matter how long they've been allowed to acclimate.

Mike ☺

The Moonlite WILL fit both Ed100 and 120 variants. The Moonlite is superb, no doubt about it, but the newer stock SW dual speed units are now pretty good too..

Try it before swapping to a Moonlite if you do buy an ED120 Pro. The main thing it lacks is 360 degree rotation, which is why I got the Moonlite for mine. It makes manoevering the scope on an EQ mount much easier.

Dave

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

The Moonlite WILL fit both Ed100 and 120 variants. The Moonlite is superb, no doubt about it, but the newer stock SW dual speed units are now pretty good too..

Try it before swapping to a Moonlite if you do buy an ED120 Pro. The main thing it lacks is 360 degree rotation, which is why I got the Moonlite for mine. It makes manoevering the scope on an EQ mount much easier.

Dave

Excellent, thank you Dave.

Archived