Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First night out in a while and.....

spaceboy

.....with in minutes cut short by dew GRRRRrrrrrr

Beautiful clear skies with good transparency. Seeing not the best but clear from horizon to horizon. Wasn't really in the mood to go out having a slight ear infection making me feel tips but figured I'd enjoy it all the same. Set up in no time and the scan of the heavens began. Having recently given up my GOTO I'd forgot just how much of a neck strain it can be to find things. I did though soon settle back in to the yoga poses to get more comfortable searching for things when would you believe it....... both my 9x50 and rigel fogged up :BangHead: I must have been out no longer than 30-40 mins. Blowing hugging and waving the finder around did noting so I limped along with the rigel for as long as I could until I just had to call it a night.

New item on Santa's list is a 11cm dew heater.

thats hardluck mate, "darn dew you think it would it would of had something better to dew":icon_biggrin:. no vapour problems here, had a few hours trying my new/2hand little newt out, seeing was fair, the odd bit of cloud about. got a few test shots off the flame and great orion neb, but it was cold, my fingers was numb after about 10min. I think its going to be clear again tonight "finger crossed". great report mate, thanks,  charl.

Yikes! That is annoying! I was out until around 7pm last night. Got a great view of Mars (best for quite a while, even if small), and was checking out some double stars too to compare two scopes side by side. Thankfully no dew got in the way even though it was chilly. I use a large foam sheet cut around my StarPointer Pro to stop any dewing. Works a treat and only cost £1.  

Didnt get out until 9pm, by midnight EVERYTHING was soaked, couldn't use the finder, eyepieces were dewed or frosting over, (thought i was seeing some great nebulosity around M45 at first :confused3:), so gave up and broke out the Captain Morgan to warm up again :)

What a pain that must have been, I took one look out and knew it was going to be awful here. It took me back when you mentioned getting into those yoga posses, back in the 70's I recall laying on the frosty grass looking straight through my 3 inch scope of the time, now, not a chance, I could get down but would not be able to get up, still it would make kicking me in the grave easier

Alan

Archived