Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Explorer 150p vs Skywatcher star discovery 150

Hi all, sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I'm currently looking at getting one of the two telescopes mentioned in the title. I've reached a dilemma. I want to do deep space imaging and I know that alt az can be a pain in the backside for this. My question is this - both are the same price (Explorer 150p including motor drive is the same price as Star discovery GoTo) do I get the explorer and sacrifice GoTo system? both produce good images but I'm concerned that the alt az mount of the star discovery might hold me back.

Thanks

You can only say something is a no no if it can't do something. In this case an altaz can be used but with accepting the limitations you'll hit if you push to the capabilities of what you have, there are specific mount considerations with altaz use. 

Can the eq 3-2 be upgraded at a later date to go? If so that might give you longer legs in where you want to go. Will you also be observing? If you are not looking to observe then you could look at the 130p-ds is lighter so less demanding on the mount and geared up for imaging, not sure if the 150p reaches focus with a DSLR?. A DSLR and camera lens can also be used there are many cracking images taken using prime lenses.

As you are at the choosing stage rather then pushing the boundaries of equipment already owned perhaps the first thing is to get the book making every photon count before buying expensive equipment.

21 hours ago, happy-kat said:

You can only say something is a no no if it can't do something. In this case an altaz can be used but with accepting the limitations you'll hit if you push to the capabilities of what you have, there are specific mount considerations with altaz use. 

Can the eq 3-2 be upgraded at a later date to go? If so that might give you longer legs in where you want to go. Will you also be observing? If you are not looking to observe then you could look at the 130p-ds is lighter so less demanding on the mount and geared up for imaging, not sure if the 150p reaches focus with a DSLR?. A DSLR and camera lens can also be used there are many cracking images taken using prime lenses.

As you are at the choosing stage rather then pushing the boundaries of equipment already owned perhaps the first thing is to get the book making every photon count before buying expensive equipment.

I could downgrade to the Skywatcher Explorer 130p (eq2) but I'm wary about sacrificing light gathering as the 150 has 33% more light gathering capabilities. It would be nice to spend a lot less though. Im not particularly interested in observing, but more DSI.

I've been reading up on telescopes and imaging for the last 4 or so months and I'm itching to get one, but I'm consulting people who are more experienced than me to avoid disappointment.

Light gathering makes a big difference for observing but imaging is a different ball game. The 130p will not reach focus with a dslr without the mirror being moved. The 130p-ds is geared out of the box to be used with a dslr.

Seriously understand why you are thinking of choosing what you want. If imaging is your goal then consider up the mount eq5 and start with camera and lens £30-£40 gets vintage lens 200mm. Can save add telescope ccd what ever later. I've not read the book but it is always recommended for those with a direct imaging aim. There is lots to think about to help make your money work for you the best with what you want to do. There's is also other thoughts like is weight a consideration for getting from storage to setup location.

Archived