NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

iPhone vs DSLR

Stu

No big surprises but I thought it interesting to compare these two results. Taken with the same scope on the same night, so same conditions.

The iPhone was hand held at the eyepiece which was an ES 20mm 100 degree. The DSLR was at prime focus, using a focal reducer to allow a full disk view. The scope was an f14.3, 2000mm focal length OMC140.

The iPhone image seems ok in the centre but breaks down along the terminator towards the edges. I assume this is an effect of the ultra wide afov eyepiece? Perhaps a 40mm Plossl would give better results?

The DSLR image is quite good really, pleased with it. I need to learn stacking then the results will get better still.

IMG_8060.JPG

IMG_8062.PNG

IMG_8063.PNG

IMG_8047.TIF

I did think for ages about getting a decent holder for the phone or point and shoot... I was getting not bad results from hovering a Samsung s5 over the slv..

20161112_220204.jpg

And

20161112_220354-1.jpg

I'm still tempted to get a holder for quick one of shots, where time doesn't allow for processing, because I don't think it's too bad.. for what it is.. if that makes sense.. 

But I am enjoying the results with a dslr, but boy you need some good time for it all..

A place for both I think

Ta

Fozzie

Stacking the images is actually very simple, my dslr records 1080 at 50fps so i get around a minute of footage or more which is about 3000 frames sometimes i go for longer. I then convert the .mov in ffmpeg to a readable avi so autstakkert can stack the image.

I tried shooting 100 stills and stacking them but autostakkert ran out of memory very quick which is due to my terrible pc so i stacked the single images in photoshop and still got a nice result.

1 hour ago, Fozzie said:

I did think for ages about getting a decent holder for the phone or point and shoot... I was getting not bad results from hovering a Samsung s5 over the slv..

20161112_220204.jpg

And

20161112_220354-1.jpg

I'm still tempted to get a holder for quick one of shots, where time doesn't allow for processing, because I don't think it's too bad.. for what it is.. if that makes sense.. 

But I am enjoying the results with a dslr, but boy you need some good time for it all..

A place for both I think

Ta

Fozzie

fozzie i can sell you a phone holder if you like

Stu, the dslr is the best image but phone shots have come a long way, then it can be a faff setting up a dslr, istill like proper A-focal using my Pentax optio on a mount only trouble is the pentax eats batteries in the cold

Archived