NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Imaging with a massive moon ....... NGC1499

swag72

I never bother to image when the moon is about, but we've had such bad weather (seriously weeks of cloud) that I thought I needed to do something even with the moon the size of a dozen WWII searchlights. I wasn't expecting much.... 

I decided on NGC1499...... Quite a bright one and a 2 pane mosaic as well. 9x1800s in each sub and so much more data needed and perhaps this data will get thrown away in the future who knows..... but as a little experiment, here it is. So I guess the question is, will I bother imaging during a large (almost full moon) again?

Details
M: Mesu 200
T: Tak FSQ85 0.73x
C: QSI683 with 3nm Ha

NGC1499_SGL.jpg

Is there a moon up there - can't see it through the blinking cloud :) 

Understand the need to do something and keep eye in though.  I think that this look good for full moon, not an ideal time to image but in Ha not impossible with well illuminated targets.  You're picking up the wispy details around the edge nicely and detail is good for the 85 so very nice result given the conditions.  With limited skies Ha during the moon is the default position here!  But should you keep, depends if you add another 9 frames then most likely this will act as a good signal to boost from, if you add another 18 you can start to be selective.  Sounds the next step in the experiment.  Personally I would keep as the base and get selective only when the luxury of clear skies becomes abundant.  I suspect another 9 frames with less moon and any difference between the moon and moonless data sets will be very negligible.

Paddy 

I think this is terrific Sara and I am not sure I could tell that this was done when Moony McMoonface was about if you hadn't let on.  I have tried this target (when out at Olly's) and the Ha looked terrific.  I wonder if it is one of those objects for which Ha alone will do?

It might be interesting to shoot the same amount of Ha data when there is no moon, process both sets of data similarly, and see whether or not there is any significant difference.  

This is an accomplished Ha mono Sara.  There is nothing to dislike :icon_biggrin:.

Like you I generally stay clear of 80%+ moon as I do feel there is some loss of contrast.  But when needs must and weather dictates your image shows that the reduction in signal quality is marginal.

Archived