Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A question for all you big Dob owners?

mightymonoped

Just investigating options at the moment...but I'm finding myself pulled towards the visual side and I'm considering a lightbucket.

If I'm looking to get a 12" Dob fo use primarily in my back garden (maybe in a roll-off roof obsy), should I get a Lightbridge or Flextube and benefit from the potential portability (but suffer the infexibility of the trussrod design) or go with a Skyliner 300p and keep the option of upgrading the mount to something like the Orion Optics aluminium box and rings for a more permanent siting and better balancing of accessories?

Tony

Tony

Turning it round the other way which is more important to you the flexibility of being able to take the scope to a darker site or having a more permanent mounting later? All 3 of the 12 inch scopes will give you lots of wows.

BTW, a guy I know who aquired Ade Ashford's 12 inch Felxitube review scope has just it put up on astrobuysell for £550.

Just seen your addtional post.

I have a Dark Star Dobsonian and it's base is a mixture of MDF and chipboard and is only painted - it has lived in my observatory for 5 years and been use on some very damp nights without ill effects. Having looked at the construction of both the Skyliner and Lightbridge I would have thought they would not degrade either.

Mike

Hi Tony

I agree with all the comments about larger apature.

However i have had a 12" dob for about 2 years now and i find

the constant use of setting up can strain your back a bit.

So may i reccomend that you consider a simplistic

design for transporting/Setting up.

I hope that helps a bit.

Ed

Some good points to ponder....

If it is going to be sited in a roll off obsy get the biggest you can. If you are planning trips to dark sites, a 16" will be a pain to move.

I have the 16" and it's big, it lives in my conservatory and once I design and attach the wheelbarrow designed wheels I will be able to wheel it out through the patio doors.

The base it really sturdy and well built I cannot see dew or slight damp really effecting it to much.

Archived