NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Coasting along the California Nebula

scarp15

The California nebula in Perseus NGC 1499, is a large diffuse emission nebula and therefore its light is spread over a vast area. It is achievable visually, primarily by panning along the edge (the coast) to follow a dim filament like strand. I believe that it is an object that will respond to a variety of aperture and focal ratio. A moderate sized scope with the ability for a wide field of view could convey (although dim) more of its profile. It is considered to be a challenging subject, a H-beta the filter of choice, a dark sky with good transparency required. 

I have observed, with my 350mm dobsonian, the nebula by following the 'coast'. I would also like to use my 200mm dob and 76mm refractor this winter for a wider field of view.

Have you observed or are planning to observe the California Nebula?

Thought you might have had a reply to this. Not a popular target maybe?

I caught it at the end of the evening a month or so ago, but didn't spend too much time as I had to pack up. I can't even recall whether it was the 4" or 10" scope! :icon_scratch:. Looking at the field of view of both in Sky Safari, I'm sure it would have been the 10" as it filled the view and I had to pan around. I would have been using my default 24mm EP for a bright 5mm exit pupil and it would have been my default 2" SW UHC filter.

I was able to follow the coast through the stars fields on the side nearest Menkib and verify the position against the image in Sky Safari. This was from a NELM 6.2 or so site. From home at 5.5 I've never seen it.

Keen to come back to it when I'm less rushed. Looks like a nice one for the 4" frac. How dark was the site you were observing from?

Cheers, yes it is possible to visually observe, although faint, some structure can be seen with direct vision along the coast as Paul has mentioned. It is a very large object and it will be interesting to attempt to see more of the profiling. I have on previous occasions used my 21mm eyepiece and 14" dob, the combination along with a H beta filter has been successful. I would like to determine if I could grasp more of this object by using my 31mm eyepiece and 8" dob to deliver a 5.1mm exit pupil, possibly a 2.12 degree field and X39 mag. I have read accounts that Very low magnification, for example X15 perhaps if using a 4" refractor, may reveal more of the profile, although of course this will be a very faint grey contrast. Along with a dark sky, transparency conditions will require to be near perfect. 

For deep sky observing such as diffuse nebulae, I head North as far as a reasonable driving distance from Newcastle is feasible for a return trip. I take along a Sky Quality Meter for each location and readings typically range from between 20.95 to 21.4. I can reach yet darker places deeper in Northumberland (such as Kielder which has so I understand, recorded readings of 21.6 - 21.7) and which provide good spots for observing, unless I am prepared to camp or sleep in the car, the drive home though has to be factored in. 

Photographic from the Isle of Wight last month. It is one of the larger nebulae, but not the largest. I find it a good test of sky conditions as bad transparency kills it off like it does to barnards loop. You know it's good when you can see the sort of dimmer streak down the middle. The larger sharpless nebulae are all well worth a look, happy to help people appreciate them.

cheers

Peter

On 11/27/2016 at 09:57, scarp15 said:

The California nebula in Perseus NGC 1499, is a large diffuse emission nebula and therefore its light is spread over a vast area. It is achievable visually, primarily by panning along the edge (the coast) to follow a dim filament like strand. I believe that it is an object that will respond to a variety of aperture and focal ratio. A moderate sized scope with the ability for a wide field of view could convey (although dim) more of its profile. It is considered to be a challenging subject, a H-beta the filter of choice, a dark sky with good transparency required. 

I have observed, with my 350mm dobsonian, the nebula by following the 'coast'. I would also like to use my 200mm dob and 76mm refractor this winter for a wider field of view.

Have you observed or are planning to observe the California Nebula?

May I be so bold as to post a picture I took very recently?

Since my equipment is geared towards imaging, and not observing, it's the best I can offer. (Which is usually far from the best by any means...) I figure I got about from Santa Maria to a bit North of Sacramento.

600 seconds raw... (To see if I was on target) (10 minute single shot)

t1-487407-600s_raw_ha7nm.jpg

1800 seconds YCbCr, HA7nm... (30 minute single shot)

t1-488301-1500s_ycbcr_ha7nm.jpg

And after the Meridian flip...

1800 seconds YCbCr, HA7nm... (30 minute single shot)

t1-489347-1800s_ycbcr_ha7nm.jpg

Yes, I am the odd duck who tries for One Shot Color, and no processing.

Please remove if this is in a wrong place, or a no-no.

Good image, thanks for posting, no need to remove and will serve as a good reference, which in visual terms will highlight clarity to the quite challenging yet more favourably observable coastal region.  

7 hours ago, scarp15 said:

Good image, thanks for posting, no need to remove and will serve as a good reference, which in visual terms will highlight clarity to the quite challenging yet more favourably observable coastal region.  

Thank You, Iain. Most gracious of you. I posted before I realized I was in the Observing Section.

My observing consists of seeing what I can catch on my laptop screen...:hiding:

Archived